Search the forum,

Discuss Immersion heaters 3 blown in two days! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting one this!
please keep us informed how you get on.

out of interest, has the property got a wire type damp proof course? Came across one years ago that was touching the oil line behind an aga. It was shorting down the oil line and where a price of plastic coating on the 10mm copper line was damaged the copper turned to dust.

The short life failures seems like an over voltage intermittent fault or a faulty batch.
Regards the previous problems you describe Galvanic action over a period could be a possibility but not the recent blow outs.
Yes, I think the crumbling copper is related to this, I would cross bond all pipe work to cylinder before fitting new elements, to rule out galvanic action.
Interesting one this, I will follow thread !

Last edited by a moderator:
The short life failures seems like an over voltage intermittent fault or a faulty batch.
Regards the previous problems you describe Galvanic action over a period could be a possibility but not the recent blow outs.
Yes, I think the crumbling copper is related to this, I would cross bond all pipe work to cylinder before fitting new elements, to rule out galvanic action.
Interesting one this, I will follow thread !

Thanks for all your help and ideas. Back to it today to try to get to the bottom of it!

Ok

talked to RM and Rodstat who make the heaters today.
still really none the wiser but they are sending out two replacement elements and want the damaged ones back. They think it could be a faulty batch but unlikely!
we are going to run both elements together and wire them through a timer to limit their usage through the night.
This I know doesn't address the electrical issue but we have to start somewhere. The sparks are putting in a monitor of some description to see what happens over 25 hr period.

if they both blow again within say 2- 3 days back to the drawing board!!!!

Do love an update...will no doubt help someone down the line when you finally resolve this....regards Turnpin:punk:

If your getting 251volts at peak period for demand I.e. 5 o,clock I would be looking to a serious over voltage during the over night off peak period, if the monitoring cannot show up. The voltage overnight I would be looking at bringing your energy suppliers in to investigate.

My two bobs worth, in my experience the main cause of immersions blowing is localised overheating. In hard water areas this is normally due to the build-up of scale, not directly on the elements themselves, although this can happen, it tends to break off the surface and falls to builds up in piles under the elements obstructing the conversion currents which carry away the heat & stop it from overheating.

I use to see these pyramids of scale left in tack by the last engineer as I replaced the element shortly after the new one had been replaced. Use a scrapper to move it way or clear it out before installing new ones.

I though it was a good candidate for the cause of failure in this case until you said that the "top one" had gone as well, if the unit has a higher level "boost" immersion & this has failed as well then that blows my theory out of the water, excuses the pun!

Does the system have a secondary return installed with the mixed system pipework ??

Seems unlikely to be over voltage, when you think you test them at 500+, now measuring the resistance of the new ones may provide useful information.

Chris, do you mean test at 500 as in insulation resistance, these are not made to work at that voltage, only that the insulation is still intact, and you wouldn't really test the equipment at 500v

Chris, do you mean test at 500 as in insulation resistance, these are not made to work at that voltage, only that the insulation is still intact, and you wouldn't really test the equipment at 500v
Yes, realised what I put. DOL. but what I think I was getting at is the break down of the insulating powder failure.

Yes, see what you mean, it will be good to get a definitive answer on this one, especially if they are going through so many.

Well an insulation tester does indeed test at 500v.
Mine tests at 500 and 1000v - and those are industry standard tests.
You need the potential across to discover faults in the insulation between the earthed case and current carrying element. These faults may not show at 220v and do manifest at higher.
There are only micro amps during these tests and they are perfectly acceptable on class 1 equipment and indeed obligatory.
You only test at 250v on items with surge protected devices

Phil, are you saying you would test for insulation resistance with equipment fitted I.e. A shower or you would test a boiler circuit with the boiler connected.

Im saying id meg the element before fitting.
Whose on about shower or boiler circuits :)

Sorry, didn't read like that thought you were saying you would test the whole lot. I agree testing the jacket to element will show up if there is a fault.

Hi

regards secondary circ then yes we do have it. In fact most of the copper pipe leaks have been on the secondary loop!!!!
although the tank in question is 2 months old there is a small amount of scale build up in the bottom of the tank but not huge amounts.
2 new elements arrived today and were fitted by me earlier. The sparks have just text to say they have just wired them in but they are not convinced they are both working!!!!!..... Strange coz they are brand new!!
anyway he's taking a look tomorrow and will let me know ASAP.

also the elements are made by heatrod.

My two bobs worth, in my experience the main cause of immersions blowing is localised overheating. In hard water areas this is normally due to the build-up of scale, not directly on the elements themselves, although this can happen, it tends to break off the surface and falls to builds up in piles under the elements obstructing the conversion currents which carry away the heat & stop it from overheating.

I use to see these pyramids of scale left in tack by the last engineer as I replaced the element shortly after the new one had been replaced. Use a scrapper to move it way or clear it out before installing new ones.

I though it was a good candidate for the cause of failure in this case until you said that the "top one" had gone as well, if the unit has a higher level "boost" immersion & this has failed as well then that blows my theory out of the water, excuses the pun!

Does the system have a secondary return installed with the mixed system pipework ??

Seems unlikely to be over voltage, when you think you test them at 500+, now measuring the resistance of the new ones may provide useful information.

Thanks mate

both elements were on 24/7. I understand the scale theory but still the higher one blew!

Well done for putting the voltage logger!Also you can connect two elements in series, than you would have ~1/4 power, but double the voltage tolerance.Or go for larger element, and connect it through the silicon diode (would halve it's power).Or find twice as powerful 415V version of it, that would fit in the hole. Should just give the right power at 250V.Anyway, you need something with a lot of thermal headroom... (or good overvoltage protector).Obviously fixing the fault is the best, but if the neighbors are arc welding with 500A+ on the other phase of the 75 KW substation transformer it may not quite help...

Is there any chance that the cylinder is being drained, or partially drained.

If the top element has blown, it may be worth checking if the water supply is adequate to keep the tanks filled during peak water usage periods.

The elements don't have to be dry for very long to cook themselves.

Update!!!!!

fitted 2 new heaters a week ago on timers and turned off 2nd circ. all ok at the moment touch wood!!!!
RM have the blown elements so we'll see what they say after the break!

Why Did someone not suggest a gas water heater rather than stored (electric aswell) Electric costs loads and secondary circ elements will burn out pretty often (as they are on constant) i had it last year using element as back up with sec circ burnt out in a week
That was an RM cylinder too, Remember ringing RM and they said a load of crap apparently in the instructions it says somewhere Bypass water softeners for the first 6weeks or 6 months cant remember which (I could nt find it i looked several times after the phone call)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Immersion heaters 3 blown in two days! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock