Discuss Immersion heaters 3 blown in two days! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicno1

Gas Engineer
Hi
I installed an RM 180 lt direct unvented 2 months ago. It serves a deli and kitchen area so the elements are on 24/7.
Saturday both elements faied and took the rcd. Both were blown as you would expect after say a year or so. Spoke to RM and they advised fitting titanium elements due to heavy constant use so replaced them both yesterday around 3 pm. 11 o'clock today the shop rings no hot water! Drained tank off to find both elements blown apart again!
The electrician is testing the electrics and they all are fine, correct wiring etc! One thing is that the voltage today at 5 o'clock was 251 volts permissible apparently at 253! Could it be over voltage causing this in such short time or crappy elements do you think????? I believe the heaters to be fine and there must be some underlying issue electrically!
We are speaking to RM in the morning if their tech guy answers the phone!!!

any ideas guys please we are stumped.
yes I am cert unvented!
cheers

chris

Maybe someone should take this over to the dark side (sparky forum) who's brave enough? Ha ha

The immersions that are supplied with the cylinder are only rated for domestic use. If they are in a commercial environment then they need to be upgraded.

Amazing what you read on a rm label :)

Dont mention where you have installed it.

Just going to throw it out there you are connecting to the right side of the stat if I remember rightly the immersions fitted as standard have external overheat stats. Not insulting you just clearing the obvious

They have co therm stas. Yes connected correctly live to A and neu to B.
no problem you have to ask I know ,
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Immersion heaters 3 blown in two days! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

E
Good evening everyone :), I’ve recently moved into a new flat that is completely electric (It’s got a dual immersion heater) and just had a...
Replies
Views
Heno here. From Ireland. I'm a marine sparks but that doesn't qualify in any way to deal with electric and water. Pleasure to meet you all. I know...
Replies
Views
A
Hi there, I am at my wit’s end with this problem which seems to have stumped all the plumbers in my local area and would appreciate any advice. I...
Replies
Views
Not sure if this is a success or a fail or just a rant but We do have heat and hot water now So all started the evening of Friday the 12th (Nov)...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
Hi guys. I have a newish (4 years old) hot water cylinder with 2 immersion heaters fitted. It has worked fine but yesterday when switching it on...
Replies
Views
Back