Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss If you find yourself low on work.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoodedClaw

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Do some leaflet dropping..

I spent 2 hours today dropping A5's through about 150 doors, had 2 people chase me up the road for questions/quotes and now have 3 small jobs (taps etc.) and 1 quote for gravity boiler changed to combi condenser and after a chat hes very keen for someone local to do it as its for his mum and hes had a quote from BG so anything is better..

Last time I posted 250 leaflets, got 3 days work 2 jobs because I did the leaflet drop myself and could look there then, its a start and healthier then sitting around waiting for phone to ring.

Just got to find a decent Gas Safe to do the boiler hook up and commission. It's in Winchester if anyone's interested?

What works for me is business cards as people keep them for years.

What works for me is business cards as people keep them for years.

Just pushing a BC through on its own? Or attaching it to the flyer? I thought about cutting slots and sliding one in, but it takes long enough cutting and folding as it is... I know - get them printed - I will once I use up the good paper I bought.

And SteveB - you gas safe? Re boiler replacment?

Card on its own! (It has my website if they have a computer but loads of people round here don't have computers!)

no i'm not gas safe otherwise i would help being only 20 miles down the road

steve

Good on you HoodClaw,pleased you got some work from your get up and go,two many people just sit and sulk when work runs thin,as said,good you are doing your self as can answer any questions or get straight in their with a quote...respect

Hi HoodedClaw - that's a great response from your leaflets. What do you say in the leaflets? I'd love to know as it's clearly working!

Get your details on sticky back/peel off paper. Do a bit of bunnying and get them to stick it in the inside of the kitchen unit or airing cupboard door for future ref. Please remember if earning a good living was easy every body would be on one. Good Luck

I know what you mean dontknowitall, lot of old people around here that also dont have a puter.. though that might be a good 3rd job.. I'll try cards next, pushing leaflets though just nip your fingers all the time ;)

Cheers Puddle, i'm just really surprised how many people have left leaks and drips, happy to put a towel round the pipe or a bucket under and just dont bother to get it fixed, my leaflet just seemed to remind them. Last week it was system flushing and cleaning out a few sludgy rads, again the leaflet reminded him to get it sorted :eek:)

Sticky paper one is a good idea, thought about a fridge magnet one - I've a few on mine, never look at them mind, but then I'm bloody minded - lol.

Ocentric, I just list what I can do, qualifications, website and home details. I tried to make it look like a big version of my Bus cards, but it looked a bit... rubbish.. So I made it simple and easy to read (for the failing eyesight people).

Good job on taking action - there is a tonne of work out there if you know how to find it.

Leaflets is a great way to start.

If you find yourself getting too much work you can hire the local paper boy to do it for you, then when you get even more work hire a plumber to work for you.

Rinse and repeat - you just got yourself a business. :)

All of this can be expanded and maintained.

Get a website and build long term relationships with your customer base so you become "their plumber" rather than "a plumber".

You can do this with email auto-responder software and also newsletters. You just want to be at the top of their mind for then they need you again.

Anyway, good to see you not waiting around for it to fall on your lap - good luck mate.

Steve

I post my clients a reminder for the service of their boilers/unvented cylinder and get a lot of referall work via word of mouth. I advertised once, and got one job from it which payed for the whole advertising run but nothing more.

I'm updating my website at the moment to push for new business, but my phone rings a few times a week as it is...I piggy backed from my old man though who has been plumbing for 40 years, and pinched some of his clients!! He still works though, I don't think we ever fully retire, there's only so much golf, fishing and gardening you can take when you've been used to proper graft for years.

Anyway, I'm going to have some leaflets knocked up, I just can't see myself delivering them though. Foolish pride I guess.

I post my clients a reminder for the service of their boilers/unvented cylinder and get a lot of referall work via word of mouth. I advertised once, and got one job from it which payed for the whole advertising run but nothing more.

I'm updating my website at the moment to push for new business, but my phone rings a few times a week as it is...I piggy backed from my old man though who has been plumbing for 40 years, and pinched some of his clients!! He still works though, I don't think we ever fully retire, there's only so much golf, fishing and gardening you can take when you've been used to proper graft for years.

Anyway, I'm going to have some leaflets knocked up, I just can't see myself delivering them though. Foolish pride I guess.

What city are you targeting Danny?

No city, but towns. Tunbridge Wells, Crowborough, Tonbridge, Seven-Oaks, East Grinstead. I'm slap bang in the middle of them all, maximum of a 15 min drive. Though I do work as far North as London and as far South as Eastbourne. My bread and butter is from the towns listed above. I am working in London tomorrow though.

My internet guy is right next to me and said you should try to target your website around these terms

plumber east grinstead 210 searches/month
plumber tonbridge 170/month
plumber tunbridge wells 390/month
plumber guildford 720/month

Not sure if the last one is near you. These are all people looking for plumbers in Google every month, while leaflets work... if you can reach these people then remember that they are people looking to purchase right now.

Bloody hell Steve, you're a genius! I would never have known that. Many thanks indeed.

My website builder (a local lady called Judith Barrett, has said she will do an advertising campaign for me, but at least now I'm armed with some info on what to push for) Guillford is OK, I'm going there on Tuesday to do a thermal store.

Cheers!

It's my seo guy who is the genius, not me - I just leave him to it, but i'll pass it on :)

He's gone now but if you have any questions i'll pass them on tomorrow.

Again, cheers mate. I'll see what my wonder web woman has to say! She'll wonder where I got this info from....though I will take all the credit!! LOL

If you want another spot of advice don't forget the villages - parking's usually easier for a start! Villagers are targeted less than townsfolk because they're more difficult and costly "to target" but they still have plumbing requirements.

I "did" a village near me while waiting for some car repairs. Only trouble was people kept expecting me to know the road by the white house with the pink door and then the rose bush with the goldfish swimming under it ...

I live in just in a village. You'll often find a local down the pub does their plumbing work. In the case of where I live, it's my old man!!

No city, but towns. Tunbridge Wells, Crowborough, Tonbridge, Seven-Oaks, East Grinstead. I'm slap bang in the middle of them all, maximum of a 15 min drive. Though I do work as far North as London and as far South as Eastbourne. My bread and butter is from the towns listed above. I am working in London tomorrow though.

Ooo
I live 5 mins from east grinstead

Looks like you're the competition Gary! LOL. I'm in Cowden, about 5 mins from EG. Where are you mate?

Looks like you're the competition Gary! LOL. I'm in Cowden, about 5 mins from EG. Where are you mate?

I live in dormansland - don't worry i'm not much competition! I'm 47 and it's my last day at college this saturday! So after that I'll be scratching my head filling out my level 2 portfolio ! So if you need a hand.... Lol

Where are you training Garry, The plumbing Academy?

I've had a fella come from there and I signed off his portfolio for him (Lvl 2). That was in the summer when I was flat out...it's a little quieter at the mo, though I just did a 12 hr day from when I left to when I got home, no lunch...I'm knackered. There's not many days like that at the moment.

If boiler season kicks off with a nice start, I may be able to give you a tinkle. Boilers won't have much bearing on your NVQ2 but could just be useful to get out of college and in peoples homes. Who knows how it's going to go. I'm launching an advertising campaign next month so watch this space!!

Danny

Hi Danny

No Not at the academy..I've been going to Kingston college for twelve months.. 'proper' college is a lot cheaper!!..I've registered for the NVQ at Carshalton College, I managed to get funding as well through The Train To Gain programme... So I'm just going to take it steady and do the work for the portfolio when I can...and I'll be haveing a new shower, bath, basin, loo and sink, and perhaps an extra outside tap and, and maybee an extra loo downstairs..that should be worth at least a couple of visits for the assessor!!!

Cheers

Garry

PS I'm a graphic designer during the day! so if you need any forms or leaflets designing...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have time to deliver leaflets anymore but I still get work from the ones I delivered 24 months ago.

I hate it though when they don't have a letterbox so you have to go round the back and there's still no letterbox. Curtains start to twitch so you just give up and go next door.

I was aslo mauled by a dog once, I went through the gate (after this I always rattled the gate to announce my approach) and walked toward the house, no letterbox on front so I went round the back and a dog came from nowhere and savaged me (definatly not playing) I ran back to the gate with it jumping up and biting me as I went. If I had a hammer on me or a brick I would have honestly cracked its head open and I'm pretty sure the owners would not have had a case against me as I was there to promote my business and there was no beware of dog sign.

The dog had free roam all around the garden, I only opened the front gate. I got away with only a minor nick in my shin, nothing seroius.

i dropped off leaflets years ago for my wifes business, first drop got a good responce. second drop not one call, need to keep things fresh is what i learned

I'm personally not going to go round peoples houses, leaflet dropping. Not just as I don't want to get bitten by dogs, but also because it's very time consuming.

I'm having my website updated by a professional and I'm going to push for google hits.

Leaflets could be very handy for some large blocks that I have worked in. Some of them I've worked in three apartments next door to each other, as I leave one I go to their neighbour, so a bulk drop in their lobby might be very handy. I just think walking up and down the streets will take more time and effort than the possible rewards. I personally through anything like that directly in the bin. Maybe I'm just a miserable git though!

Oh and Garry, thanks very much for the offer, I might give you a buzz mate.

Last edited:
So I'm just going to take it steady and do the work for the portfolio when I can...and I'll be haveing a new shower, bath, basin, loo and sink, and perhaps an extra outside tap and, and maybee an extra loo downstairs..that should be worth at least a couple of visits for the assessor!!!

when i did my NVQ we were told that all jobs undertaken at your own home are invalid and can't be used for assessment purposes.
seems a silly rule to me....but thats what we were told.

i would look into it if i were you before you shell out for a new suite...unless you were going to renew it anyway in which case it will still give you some experience.

KJ

when i did my NVQ we were told that all jobs undertaken at your own home are invalid and can't be used for assessment purposes.
seems a silly rule to me....but thats what we were told.

i would look into it if i were you before you shell out for a new suite...unless you were going to renew it anyway in which case it will still give you some experience.

KJ

God don't tell the mrs that she's been nagging for a new suite..... My tutor who is also the assesor says it is fine but thanks for the heads up I'll check it out

Can anyone reccomend a place in Herts to get fliers done, or do you make your own?

If i start to run low on work what I do is this.

The next 2 or three day job I have booked in I go up to that street a few days before I start the job and dropp the whole street and houses round about.

Then they all see the van a few days later at the job and guess what at least two or three leads come in. Works all the time.

Also when you are at a job for a few days on day one drop ten doors one way and ten the other do a first class job and you will get another.

Give it a try.

Thanks Tackleburger. Need to get the van signed up then. Any idea on the average cost?

I've a large picture on the sides of my van, writing on bonnet and rear doors. It cost around £500 including the licence to use the photo. I'd expect fairly simple graphics to be around £150 to £250.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to If you find yourself low on work.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock