Search the forum,

Discuss Identify isolator valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrashton

Hi,

I noticed the isolator in the Red box in this photo is leaking at the top nut (sorry about the blurred view). This isolator is after the water meter on the cold water mains inlet to my flat. I was hoping a simple tightening of the nut in the Yellow box would suffice but now I am not so sure. I asume the top end of the isolator valve is a swivel (as opposed to the bottom that will be a compression fitting with an olive) and as such probably has a fibre or rubber washer that will need replacing.

I would appreciate help in identifying the part and manufacturer so I can look at the technical diagram and hopefully work out what type of seal I need before unscrewing the nut and possibly making the situation worse.

Thanks.,
Matthew

Leaking Isolator 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll ideally need a new fibre washer.
It'll be either half or three-quarter inch.

You'll ideally need a new fibre washer.
It'll be either half or three-quarter inch.

Thanks for the quick response. Any idea who makes this isolator with integral drain off?

The nut measures about 38mm across the flats so I assume I need a larger fibre washer?

It's a water meter union so should be a standard size washer. You could try calling the water undertaking as the meter, and presumably the valve are their property.

its most likely a 3/4 rubber washer. The meter and valves belong to the water board, give them a call and tell them the meter is leaking water.

if you want to buy a simular valve you may get on from bes. They normally come with the meter so not sold by many places.

Thanks for all the replies. I contacted the management company and they confirmed this is my responsibility.

Thanks for all the replies. I contacted the management company and they confirmed this is my responsibility.

Ok then. turn the valve off, open a cold tap and drain off into a bucket from that point, put plenty of towels down and crack the nut open.

Once the water's stopped and you're no longer screaming "Oh god please make it stop!" open the joint full up and take the washer out.

Go to your local plumber's merchant (may be closed by lunchtime!) and he should have spares.

Replace washer. tighten up nut (Don't over tighten)

Turn on valve.

Start breathing again.

Actually, your management company hasn't a scooby!

Who do you pay your water rates to?

or get an empty sand bag and drain the water into that then when it stops chuck it down the bath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Identify isolator valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello Plumbers I’ve replaced a 540mm high cast iron rad with 740mm high, like for like but still a 20mm valve extension was required. All was...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
Hi. I have to replace the taps on a small sink. Currently the tails fit onto the hot and cold-water supplies into a female end fitting. I want to...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm going to replace the 3 way vale on my open heating system. Hoping someone can advise. In the picture, to isolate the valve I am going to...
Replies
Views
Hi, some advice would be great. I have an Instinct Eco-Mag fitted and it has started to leak from the port that the magnetic tube is removed from...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock