Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Ideal boiler... or water softener: is it worth the loss?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blackspaven

Waiting for a few quotes to come in for my new boiler, one of which is an Ideal. However, they appear to be the only company who insist that you are not allowed to use a water softener to let ANY soft water go round ANY part of their boilers otherwise you invalidate the warranty (unless it's off their tiny, weeny approved list), despite they have a stainless steel plate exchanger like everyone else on the hot water side and no-one else seems to have an issue with it.

So if the price is good, do I forfeit having softened water around the rest of my house and leave a moderately pricey softener sitting there, useless or do I immediately sack off the Ideal? (with the plumbing, I don't fancy the extra expense and hassle of having ANOTHER pipe run just for the boiler's hot water supply!). Just seems bloody stupid!

Thoughts?

Have a word with Harvey water softeners. They seem to offer a guarantee that their softener will not cause any problems with boiler manufacturers who live in the dark age [emoji108] I am not associated with Harvey's, I have a Kinetico. Would not be without a softener.

Unfortunately, it's a huge extra cost that's just not worth it. Rather just buy a different make, just think it's daft to design a boiler as such.

Ideal seem to have covered their backsides in all cases.

First they acknowledge that in hard water areas, treatment to prevent lime scale may be necessary - however the use of artificially softened water is NOT permitted.

Then they say that their guarantee does not apply: d. To de-scaling or other work required as a result of hard water scale deposits or from damage caused by aggressive water.

Go figure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal boiler... or water softener: is it worth the loss?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We have a Kinetico 2020c HE Water Softener, fitted in 2008 in our loft to the cold water tank in a vented system with a conventional boiler...
Replies
Views
Is there a definitive answer to this? We have a stainless steel everflo unvented cylinder hooked up to a Worcester Bosch boiler, and are thinking...
Replies
Views
Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank...
Replies
Views
My heating system comprises an Ideal Logic 12 boiler located downstairs and a Gledhill OV SOL cylinder located upstairs . The problem is that when...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock