Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Iam firing away with the questions tonight :) Thermocouple testing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFGplumbing

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I need to test a the thermocouple on a gas fire is this the correct way to do it?

Multimeter - put it on DC; something like 200 Mv
Positive to the outer core
Unscrew thermocouple out of Gas valve
Negative to the inner core
Light the pilot and see if i get a reading

Blimey all I do is look at them if they look dodgy they get swapped. I have got a proper tester in the van somewhere but it doesnt get much use.

why not just buy a thermocouple tester and save the hassle?

Check the continuity of your thermocouple with an ohmmeter. A thermocouple typically is a length of two wires that are twisted together at the end. The resistance at the other end between the two ends of the wire should be minimal, less than one ohm.

Blimey all I do is look at them if they look dodgy they get swapped. I have got a proper tester in the van somewhere but it doesnt get much use.
With you on that one.
If it looks bad and getting good flame and pilot failing, for sake of few quid I change it.
9 times out of 10 it is the T/C or poor pilot at fault.

if you get an old gas valve you can get the thermo couple bit out to use\ as a tester if testing with a meter as you said dc volts should be above 12 mv not sure you can test for continuity as they can fail either way

you can test the gas valve end by screwing in a new one and warming the tip with lamp not unknown for that end to fail as well

I need to test a the thermocouple on a gas fire is this the correct way to do it?

Hi TFG, in answer to your question yes, but the + & - maybe the other way around, not sure? You're only looking for about 30mvdc so you may need it on a smaller scale :) A crocodile type connector for the multimeter are handy coz you can just clip it to the outer sleeve! :) You've got to be a bit of an octopus because you've got to keep the pilot button pushed in whilst jiggling probe leads and t/cuple ...lol

Hi TFG, in answer to your question yes, but the + & - maybe the other way around, not sure? You're only looking for about 30mvdc so you may need it on a smaller scale :) A crocodile type connector for the multimeter are handy coz you can just clip it to the outer sleeve! :) You've got to be a bit of an octopus because you've got to keep the pilot button pushed in whilst jiggling probe leads and t/cuple ...lol

i always find it too fiddly to test with multimeter, i use a thermocouple tester, its quicker and easier, was only a couple of quid, but as others have said if you are scrapping a gas valve you can pull the thermo valve out of it and use that, depending on the boiler it is actually easier to stick a new thermocouple in rather than test with anything

too many hands required haha

i always find it too fiddly to test with multimeter, i use a thermocouple tester, its quicker and easier, was only a couple of quid, but as others have said if you are scrapping a gas valve you can pull the thermo valve out of it and use that, depending on the boiler it is actually easier to stick a new thermocouple in rather than test with anything

I can count on one hand how many t/c's I've tested. :) If I suspect the t/c or pilot flame I've been known to stick a temp t/c in the valve and heat it with a lighter. If the gas valve holds open then I'll replace the t/c and clean out the pilot :)

Did you know that the encapsulating valve is now obsolite?

Well I ordered a new thermocouple for it.... and the custard has got it working again now somehow.... heavens sake, There was no way it was lighting when i was there even if u let the pilot play on the tc for frick'n ages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I ordered a new thermocouple for it.... and the custard has got it working again now somehow.... heavens sake, There was no way it was lighting when i was there even if u let the pilot play on the tc for frick'n ages.

:rofl: It'll go out again, just wait :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a cannon coalridge bf, jesus are those hard to get parts for. I serviced it on tuesday. It was in Ok condition, could have done with a new rear burner it was ever so slightly corroded cant even get them any more. burner pressure was ok. I dont think is was burning the best it possible could have been, however it is a flame effect fire and it is 20 years old

Its a cannon coalridge bf, jesus are those hard to get parts for. I serviced it on tuesday. It was in Ok condition, could have done with a new rear burner it was ever so slightly corroded cant even get them any more. burner pressure was ok. I dont think is was burning the best it possible could have been, however it is a flame effect fire and it is 20 years old

Universal fire t/c may fit? It's different to the universal boiler t/cupl. The coalridge has the collar in the termocouple yeh?

yeh its a funny one that you sort of have to screw through a little collar on the fire casing. its not part of the pilot assembly, ive managed get one now they dont fricking want it.. grrrr

I bought a flippin ÂŁ150 quid pcb last month that wasn't needed!!!! Duh!!! lol

Such is life..... thankfully few and far between TFG :) I'm still reeling :banghead:

Well this year at the mo I'm in negative equity ... flippin van had me off the road for a day today and cost me ÂŁ160 :banghead: :D

If it shows any signs of stress bin it. If you 'need' to test it, establish the pilot light and turn off the gas. Start counting, if it lasts 30 seconds before you hear the valve go click it is as good as new, if it only lasts 10 seconds bin it.

In fact just bin it anyway, charge for a new one and be thankful you won't get a recall!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Iam firing away with the questions tonight :) Thermocouple testing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock