Search the forum,

Discuss i need some advice\help with my central heating, please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deniance

hi everybody, ive joined this forum hoping to get some sound advice from you guys. i think i may have a heating problem or i might just be dreaming it up.....hopefully
you can help, ill try and give as much information as possible.... here goes...

ok first up the house, 100 year old 2 bed end terrace, built in solid stone 2ft thick, old double glazing all round, 300mm of loft insulation all over

secondly the heating system,11 year old ariston microgenus 23 mffi, mounted 1metre up, upstairs in bathroom, on an outside wall, this supplies 7 rads as listed below,
flow and return are 22mm and spread out from the boiler in a giant letter F, then rads are fed with short runs of 10mm microbore,
gas pipe is 22mm from the meter and goes direct to the boiler where it reduces down to 15mm 1metre from the boiler, there is a mixer shower also off the boiler
there is no room stat, also ive never had it serviced, boiler is set to economy mode which does away with the preheat i think?

bathroom
towel rail 600x1800 piped in 15mm on an internal wall, room size 2250x3660x2500, window size 1000x1600 , 2 external walls

bedroom
double rad 1200x300 microbore on an external wall, room size 3500x2900x2500, window size 1100x1300, 2 external walls

bedroom
double rad 800x600 microbore on an external wall, room size 2800x4800x2500, window size 900x1600 x 2, 2 external walls

living room
double rad 1600x600 microbore on an internal wall, room size 2700x4800x2500, window size 1860x2400 bay window, 2 external walls

porch
double rad 400x600 microbore on an external wall, room size 1400x1500x2500, window size 700x1000 new, door glass 600x900, 3 external walls

living room
double rad 1000x600 microbore on an internal wall, room size 2900x4800x2500, window size 1200x1900 2 external walls

kitchen
single rad 700x600 piped in 15mm on an external wall, room size 4000x 2200x2500, window size 600x800, door glass 550x1600 2 external walls

previous boiler work, about 5 years ago boiler failed and would not fire up, blokey came out and changed gas valve i think and powerflushed, added a bottle of cleaner
then came back and added inhibitor i think, cost me 500 quid but it was up and running again.
after he had left i noticed that the control knobs felt very used if you get me?, the on off one has definitely lost its click!!, also a year after he left the boiler started
humming/buzzing, the boiler loses a little bit of pressure every 6 mths or so, which i fill up with the filling loop, only thing is the filling loop drips from the valve handle when opened,
but it is worse today drips very very fast whilst filling the loop.towel rail gathers air at the top which ive bled today, this is the highest point in the system its
higher up than the boiler?

ok so on to the problem, well maybe.......
hot water works fine, nice and hot straight away
shower works fine nice and hot straight away
central heating works as it should, turn it to maximum from cold start, boiler fires up and the orange temperature leds light up and start to rise to 80 degrees?
all rads get hot quite quickly, then the boiler shuts off as it should, but ive noticed that it fires back up 10 seconds later, then runs for a few minutes then then off
this repeats and repeats, the boiler never goes into shutdown mode just keeps cycling, i dont know if this is the correct operation ??

also i feel that the system in general doesnt heat the house like it used too, its always cold, even when run at full i cannot get the rooms hotter than 18 degrees!!
i remember when it was switched on 11 years ago, it was boiling, never had heating on more than number two, but nowadays its definitely not as good

i have just completed some sealing and insulating work to the bathroom, which includes sealing ALL draughts, window,cracks, holes around pipes and skirting boards, insulated the attic to an obscene level above bathroom
i bled the towel rail and it is now full and piping hot, stuck 3 thermometers in there , been in there for 4 hours and room temp is currently 17.9 degrees at 65percent humidity(she just had a shower)
im convinced the system isnt performing like it used too.

when i bled all the rads today the water that was coming out was clean, maybe a little orangey but 90 percent clear

ive got a boiler engineer booked for friday the 5th, hes so far charging me 60 quid for a full service which seems too good to be true, he said i should add a room stat and set it to 20, but my rooms dont ever get to 20!!!

so i thought i would post here and get some good sound advice from the pros, what should i be asking him when he arrives and is there anything i can do to sort this problem out, i know it is completely my fault for not getting it serviced but nows the time for me to get it sorted and s
start learning the ins and outs of my system, how best to use it and care for it, any help at all is appreciated, and thanks for reading my really long boring post, many thanks danny

seems to me that a bit of care and attention is needed to your system as well as a good strip and clean to the boiler, me personally I would seriously look at your options regarding a new boiler - only my preference but I think these microgenius's are very poorly built

the fact" you've never had it serviced" would indicate the boiler and system probably needs some tlc or renewing

will the engineer be able to tell me if my system is run down or does he just check the boiler operates correctly?, if i get a new boiler does that mean i have to have an entire new system or just swap the boiler?, whats wrong with my type of boiler?

Your engineer (assuming he is thorough) will check most parts of your boiler to ensure its safe and operating as it should - if any of the tests fall short it will highlight areas that will need to be recitified be it system or boiler related. As its not be serviced for a while I would ask for a full strip and clean rather than just a basic "FGA" service., nothing wrong with your type of boiler, just the number of aristons I have worked on have been junk.

oh ok, thanks for the replies guys, ill ask hi for a full strip and clean, he is the 4th engineer ive called, when i mentioned ariston microgenus they never ring back!!!!!!, ill post up what happens friday after hes been, what is wrong with ariston, junk in what way, mine performed great for years? only broke once?

good lucky matie hope you get aqll issues sorted - if you post your location im sure some of us lads would have been happy to have a look, maybe you can if things dont work the way you want you want them to after. Maybe junk was a bit harsh, but there not my favorite boiler to work on, hard to explain but other engineers will agree with me.

oh ok, my location is the best part of the world, rhydyfelin pontypridd sunny wales, ill make sure to update this thread when hes been friday, on another note is a new boiler just that or will it need an entire new system?, anyways thanks all for taking the time to read and help, much appreciated, cheers danny

oh ok, my location is the best part of the world, rhydyfelin pontypridd sunny wales, ill make sure to update this thread when hes been friday, on another note is a new boiler just that or will it need an entire new system?, anyways thanks all for taking the time to read and help, much appreciated, cheers danny
Sorry that's not in Yorkshire :) which is the best part of the world :) :)

worst case it should just be a new boiler, existing system fully cleaned - hard to say though as not seen the job.
best case, you have an sound engineer that will offer you sound advise regarding the system and recifying any issues.

update, boiler engineer came today, wow very impressed, brill service ands seemed very competent, very happy, boiler was fully stripped, fan valves burners etc all hoovered, dripping filler loop replaced, washer or seal on actuator valve or something that has a pin that goes up and down was replaced, he then fired it up, connected a multimeter with a clear air pipe to the thing next to the gas valve, and it was reading 16.8, with my hot tap on, he said it should be 10, and whoever fitted the gas valve, had left it set to max or lpg setting from New, which could explain my high gas bill, he said everything is fine and he would see me next year, so thanks to all of you guys I'm.a happy bunny cheers Danny

Oh, and he pumped up the spare wheel at the back of the boiler, with a bicycle pump, just got in from work been fiddling with rads and taps and shower, hot water yes, shower yes, heating yes, no more buzzing or humming and no more random firing of the boiler, yes yes yes, ariston are the best by far so nerrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to i need some advice\help with my central heating, please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock