Discuss I just spent 8 hours swapping a pedestal basin for a vanity unit basin. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the job was nice in the end, that's all that matters!!

Not every job has a predefined time limit mate. I spent 4 hours on a bath today, because it had been leaking from various parts for some time and I had to lift the floor and renew it with 18mm ply.

The joys of plumbing!

I was satisfied with the finished job. Neatly and professionally done. It was just every thing that could prove fiddly and problematic did. Including an airlock, a completely unlevel floor, no isolation anywhere. But even given all that I just don't know how I managed to spend a full day doing it. Found it slightly embarrassing since I'd estimated half a day max. But he was happy with finished job.

Don't worry about it mate. Every one has days like that. We can go 4 jobs without any problems andour confidence goes sky high, then along comes job number 5 and BANG! something goes wrong and we start to doubt our abilities. Such is the nature of plumbing mate and it happens to evryone.

Alls well that ends well and you've stuck it long enough to just take the good with the bad.

Yea, - you feel useless when this happens, but remember there is no such thing as an easy job. Rarely will everything go right! You can lose 1 or 2 hours just if a gate valve breaks or a heating system airlocks. Just be happy you didn't leave a mess of a job which would backfire badly.

As said above, don't worry it happens.
Once every couple of weeks or so a quick job ends up taking forever. Things like air locks and bad original fitting can't be helped, nor are they your fault.
Some days I would love to get my hands on the original installer.
I had a bad one today - 3 hours to replace 10 inches of 15mm after I'd told the cust it would be about 1/2 an hour...

Yep, happens to us all.....and most of us feel like you do. Don't beat yourself up.

As said, if the finished product was good, then that's all that matters.

I once had a loo to repair. It was a funny shape cistern and I had a mare with it. Totalled up to 7 hours of work, just to change a siphon and fill valve.

The customer was happy. That's the important thing. That means he'll tell his family and friends and you'll make that extra half a day back in no time! Keep smiling mate.

Must have been one of those days.

I went to change an oil pump on a boiler - an hour from leaving door to returning home.

Closed door and went to shed. No pump. Into merchants to buy pump. None in stock. Round to another. £101??!!!! Flip! Oh well. Off to customer's house. Fitted by 4pm. Boiler locked out. No oil coming through. Finished at 7pm. Need to buy another filter so that will be another hour or so tomorrow or Thursday - at least, judging by the way this job is going.

Some jobs just seem to go on and on. It's the life of a plumber.

I also feel embarrassed if I've quote a day and finish in 3-4 hours!

I've not yet had the pleasure of a job going completely wrong, but I know it'll happen sooner or later. I'll definitely be looking for that therapy after that!! Keep smiling WaterTight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I just spent 8 hours swapping a pedestal basin for a vanity unit basin. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock