Discuss humming and vibrating gas line? water? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hello,
I need to ask the knowledgeable people here if it is possible for a domestic gas pipe to vibrate and/or make a very low humming noise? Or for that matter a water pipe to hum or vibrate?

I have been driven mad by a low droning vibration type noise for 18months. I have gone through testing various possibilities; Electric being the first - switch power off at circuit and still hear it. Water- turn off at stopcock under stairs, still hear it.

I hear it worse at front of house than back. Hear it upstairs too. We are in a terrace and I've been round the neighbours and can hear a faint hum in their houses but nothing as bad. To me it appears very loud as been living with it for so long I am totally tuned in to it!

A few weeks back I was kneeling on floor in front room and I felt the floor vibrating under me... Rather odd! My husband was upstairs using the shower and when he'd turned it off I noticed the vibrations stopped! The gas pipe in the house goes right under where I was sitting.

After a few experiments turning hot water off and on to fire the boiler, the floor vibrates each time. Put our ears to the floor and can hear it hum! So, okay, that explains the vibrations as seems to be when boiler pump is on but it does not explain the constant low level hum, even with all the power killed.

What can this be? Is it possible for gas lines to vibrate? Could it be a mains water issue? Someone suggested we could have a leak?

The front room floor does feel like its vibrating but perhaps the noise I am hearing gives the suggestion of vibration (sounds like a bus engine idling in distance or the throb of engine when you are on a ferry but very low level). At night when all is quiet its horrendous as there are no other noises to mask it.

Any ideas? We have had Scottish power out as I thought it may be an electrical substation that is approx 100metres along the road. They say it is not that but I still think it could be. In 18months it has only been quiet twice really, but there was silence for a good few weeks then returned. I don't hear a hum when I stand outside in garden or beside the suspected substation but the low level throb may be masked by wind/ambient noise...

I do not hear it in other peoples houses and have to escape to my parents or in-laws homes to get away from it. Been for hearing tests and I've got perfect hearing. It's not tinnitus either as it is only in my home I hear this low drone.

Any theories???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to humming and vibrating gas line? water? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Everyone, Thanks in advance for your advice... As the title mentions, my issue is with the water pipes of the house causing the floor to...
Replies
Views
In our sealed Megalo system, when hot water tap is used (say in bathroom shower) the megaflo is taking in some fresh water, I guess to compensate...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
T
A constant ‘hum’ noise has started and I’ve traced it back to the water meter in the street in front of the house. The noise internally can be...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, I have a new unvented system with a horizontal 210L Joule hot water cylinder. The cylinder has been vibrating badly which you can hear...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock