Discuss HRM Wallstar Oil Boiler - Advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

The large Allen bolt is used for to split the burner (main part from part that also has blast tube and flange on it.
Removing the entire burner is fine if you make sure the seal at flange to boiler is still okay and the bolts are holding burner in firm.
No need to over tighten

Found paper work from when it was last serviced, all the last few service record sheets I found all day pump pressure of 120psi even when it was serviced by a different company.
59FABC6C-51DB-40E2-AA79-7238FD2CB3F8.jpeg

When was this last record dated? Smoke level fine, CO2 is about right depending on when it was serviced, excess air maybe a little too high. Pump pressure is looking good from my calculations.

Looks good readings to me, but I never just assume they are accurate or honest and do my own test results

That was July 2019 that it was serviced.
How is excess air reduced?

Adjusting the air is for your oil service person to do using an analyser.
I would say excess air is fine. The CO2 reading is good and reducing the air will begin to increase the CO2.
You tried putting your hand partly over air intake and it didn’t help, so leave air settings untouched.

This needs to be done in conjunction with a FGA (flue gas analyser) and I shouldn’t tell you because randomly adjusting can through all other readings out. Ideally you want maximum combustion and CO2 with no excess air, this however is not practical in the modern world and you will always have a lower CO2 and certain amount of excess air, this is down to the fact increasing CO2 also increases smoke and soot emissions. Again CO2 is set depending on ambient air temperature and density. If excess air was too high it can force heat up through the flue and reduce efficiency, it can also cool the combustion process and increase CO ppm as well as extinguish flame, the data sheet suggests your efficiency and CO are good, certainly for a non condensing boiler.

This needs to be done in conjunction with a FGA (flue gas analyser) and I shouldn’t tell you because randomly adjusting can through all other readings out. Ideally you want maximum combustion and CO2 with no excess air, this however is not practical in the modern world and you will always have a lower CO2 and certain amount of excess air, this is down to the fact increasing CO2 also increases smoke and soot emissions. Again CO2 is set depending on ambient air temperature and density. If excess air was too high it can force heat up through the flue and reduce efficiency, it can also cool the combustion process and increase CO ppm as well as extinguish flame, the data sheet suggests your efficiency and CO are good, certainly for a non condensing boiler.
Thanks for that, I’ve no intention of adjusting settings I’ll leave that to experts with correct equipment.
2 Questions

1 - Would the excess air cause the burner to lockout?
2 - Could excess be caused if that gasket hasn’t been replaced?

Like I said I have known flames to extinguish due to faulty gaskets/seals, however I would expect it to happen constantly if these were a problem.
If there was a problem with gaskets/seals causing an excess of air but not enough to extinguish flame then I would expect to see other readings on my FGA out and the sheet you showed me looked like very good figures (providing they are similar now). I did say the excess air was a bit high yes but only a little to what one usually would see.

Like I said I have known flames to extinguish due to faulty gaskets/seals, however I would expect it to happen constantly if these were a problem.
If there was a problem with gaskets/seals causing an excess of air but not enough to extinguish flame then I would expect to see other readings on my FGA out and the sheet you showed me looked like very good figures (providing they are similar now). I did say the excess air was a bit high yes but only a little to what one usually would see.
Figures have been very similar on last few service record sheets, although the 1 from 2016 doesn’t show excess air.
Think I’ll give the electrode gap a check sometime this week.

Reply to HRM Wallstar Oil Boiler - Advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I have a wallstar combi oil fired boiler. We got low on oil a couple of weeks ago but didn't run out. Since we've had our oil delivered...
Replies
Views
Heating and hot water is not working. Plenty of heating oil. I have replaced batteries in thermostat and it seems to be working ok, showing flame...
Replies
Views
Hi My oil boiler keeps locking out after running for 30/40 minutes! I then try to reset it but it won’t fire back up! I have to leave it for...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Vokera 15 vhe boiler and all has been running well for the last 6 months since moving in up until a few weeks a go. Boiler throws up...
Replies
Views
Hi We have a vented oil-fired heating system with a coal fire back boiler, this is going to be changed to a sealed pressurized system tomorrow and...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock