Search the forum,

Discuss How to fix hole in plastic heating micro pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_the_plumber

Gas Engineer
Hello all

I have a customer just called me emergency call.

They have drilled a small hole in their plastic 10mm heating pipe.

I have cut plasterboard back to expose

I have hardly any flexability in pipe at all.

Eassiest way i recon is to plug the hole, but can anyone suggest a way to do it?

Obviously other solution is a socket but can I get in 10mm? (never used before)

Also problem is no spare room behind plaster board to accomodate socket as plaster board directly ontop of pipes.

Any takers please?

Thanks v much....Dan

chop out more of the wall to expose the pipe, chisel out the block where the socket will sit, but as you have no movement i would advise you to use 2 sockets and a short bit of pipe, you can buy 10mm copper in 1 metre lengths, alot cheaper than buying 25 metres of plastic pipe!

i agree you will have to replace a small section of pipe you wont be able to plug it

chop out more of the wall to expose the pipe, chisel out the block where the socket will sit, but as you have no movement i would advise you to use 2 sockets and a short bit of pipe, you can buy 10mm copper in 1 metre lengths, alot cheaper than buying 25 metres of plastic pipe!

Yeah that sounds good, cheers fellas

As usual each solution presents a new problem :)

Thanks v much....Dan :)

Assuming it is a small hole. Cut the wall back enough to give you room to spring the pipe (about a foot) Dig a bit out of the block or brickwork behind. Cut through the pipe right on the hole. Stick in 2 inserts and join it with a pushfit or compression union. If you mark the pipe with a pen you will know if it is in full slip.

if your using a compression fitting and there is limited movement on the pipes
( applies more for copper also works for solder fittings) take the nuts and elbows of and file out the stop in the middle to make a slip coupling
I have some ready in the box, used a dremmel thingy to clean inside in a minute

- you can buy a repair coupling for 15 and 22mm, are they available in 10mm/8mm?

I like tamz idea, it means you don't have to buy any pipe as well.

Remember to use the same brand inserts and socket if using pushfit.

hi guys
Ive never had to repair this before but would epox putty not do the job as done it in past on plastic tank in loft as custard did not want to pay for new tank etc done couple other jobs for custard and it still doing job 3 years on just a thought guys

hi guys
Ive never had to repair this before but would epox putty not do the job as done it in past on plastic tank in loft as custard did not want to pay for new tank etc done couple other jobs for custard and it still doing job 3 years on just a thought guys

Why put yourself at risk in this way,what happens if the epoxy putty fails ,the customer soon forgets about how to tried to save him money and all of a sudden any damage is down to you and I maybe hard but quite rightly imho

Have said it before ,if a customer gets a plumber in they should expect a professional job and putting a bit if epoxy putty over the damage it not unless a kit supplied by the manufacturer

totally agree. if a jobs worth doing it's worth doing well. as they say.

Just cap it and then come back and do it properly.

You shouldn't have a joint in the wall...

Just cap it and then come back and do it properly.

You shouldn't have a joint in the wall...

Put a screw in it...

And Lsx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to fix hole in plastic heating micro pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock