Search the forum,

Discuss How to convert a 15mm tap tail to a 3/8" fitting in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

A

Adam Mada

Hi,
I am trying to fit a replacement tap to a mini-sink that's built in to the top of a toilet. The original tap isn't made any more by the manufacturers - the nearest equivalent is apparently this one: GoodHome Lazu 1 lever Mini Contemporary Basin Mono mixer Tap | DIY at B&Q - https://www.diy.com/departments/goodhome-lazu-1-lever-mini-contemporary-basin-mono-mixer-tap/5059340214207_BQ.prd

The problem is that the cold water tap needs to be fitted into a pipe that is apparently 3/8" wide, whereas the tap tail it comes with is expecting a 15mm pipe, according to a plumber that came to see the issue but didn't have the necessary part.

I can find plenty of converters that convert a 3/8" tap into a 15mm pipe (seems to be how you fit European taps to UK pipes?). But I think I need the opposite, to fit a 15mm tap into a 3/8" pipe (actually the output of an isolation valve).

I can't find one anywhere I've looked, and the staff at the couple of shops I've asked don't know where to get one either. Does anyone have any ideas?

I thought about getting new tap tails that end in a 3/8 fitting. But the tap is a mini one and the end of the tail that needs to go into the tap seems to be non-standard - smaller than a M12 fitting anyway, perhaps it's M8 if I was to guess ? But I can't find one of those either :)

(Weirdly the hot water input goes into a standard 15mm pipe so that one is fine - but the cold water pipe is smaller - the hot feed was added later as I understand it)

Thanks for any help!

If I've understood correctly, this sort of thing should screw onto the 3/8" isolation valve, and provide a 1/2" bsp thread for the tap?
The 3/8" female threaded section might be too deep for the washer to seal, but ptfe tape could fix that!!
IMG_0167.jpeg
search for:

1/2" BSP Male x 3/8" BSP Female Brass Adapter With Washer​

Last edited:
But I read the OP has a 3/8" cu pipe with a 3/8" isolator on the end of it, and a 1/2" tap flexi (which is what the tap spec. shows)

Or this sort of thing would do it:
I think either fitting may work, isolators could be changed. Without photos or being on site, sometimes I find it hard to visualise.

Thanks to you all for your thoughts, much appreciated!
That's right, I've a 3/8" pipe with a 15mm flexi.

I did want to take a photo as it's definitely hard to visualise it from my description, but I couldn't really get an angle I felt would help! I feel like the link in the first reply would work so I'll give that a go. Thanks to you all again.

Reply to How to convert a 15mm tap tail to a 3/8" fitting in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock