Currently reading:
How long to install an unvented hot water tank ?

Discuss How long to install an unvented hot water tank ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

garygtd

I have a conventional gravity fed copper cylinder which is about 30 years old and planning to change to a direct mains fed hot water tank. Boiler is Gas and new (2-3 years old). I understand directed feed tanks need a drain outlet and a 22mm mains feed so that will add to the time but how long should I expect to be without hot water heating etc ?:disappointed:

If you think life's tough, guess what - it is! - If you think life's easy, guess what - it is. There is plenty of well/ correctly paid work out there to be had - you just have to change your mindset. Know your strengths, sell them.

We always allow two days for a swap to unvented, you just don't know what problems your going to hit (I actually asked the same question as this headline about 2 months ago, thinking it was taking us too long and we were doing something wrong) - as it happens we are back in with the same customer replacing all their heat emitters (16 of them), precisely because of the quality of work and care that we took with the work first time around.

p.s. GP' clear about £100k / year thats £300/day every day even when they are on holiday.. no materials, no insurance, no VAT, no accountant..

posts don't normally get my back up mate but don't give that motivational ****e,i am in my mid 40's,always been a subbie earnt some good money and some poor money,worked abroad and most parts of UK,there are some good lads on here,but normally subbies work at a quicker pace than self employed guys,and some just cant grasp that and say ''oh he must be rough'' when what they really mean is I couldn't do that.

Think that's a lot, try the Plymouth area over 600 plumbers lost count of GSR's every week see a couple of new vans around, must be a factory production line turning them out, rates are the worst I've seen for 30 years, why does every one want to be a Plumber ? certainly not for the money ! not these days any-way, getting to the stage when you have to work just to cover the on-going training costs. & equipment required.

Ive worked down there mate,your in the same barrel as us in the north workwise

Isn't lesser pay and working faster something you just have to live with, as a subby ? What would a company charge for a fire/back boiler service...50 quid ? Ive done full services on every appliance in the house for 10 quid a go, you inevitably have to work quicker.

Isn't lesser pay and working faster something you just have to live with, as a subby ? What would a company charge for a fire/back boiler service...50 quid ? Ive done full services on every appliance in the house for 10 quid a go, you inevitably have to work quicker.
If you are working for those sort of rates then you not doing yourself or the industry any favours, working for lesser pay ? you are under estimating your self, rates worse than 30 years ago, and your happy to work for that ? you would be better of driving a van or working stacking shelves, working quicker for less money, is something wrong with you ? Do you see new houses selling for less than 30 years ago ? What you are working for you would be better off on Job seekers . Work in the West Country and rates has always been low, But you are underselling your skills , No wonder this industry is rock bottom .

That 10 quid a service was 6/7 years ago, I was new to the industry and just viewed it as taking a hit whilst getting experience, though, there were experienced guys there working for the same. I wouldn't be surprised if there's ppl out there working for the same even now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How long to install an unvented hot water tank ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock