Discuss How long to install an unvented hot water tank ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
everybody works at different speeds and those who have priced wrong will rush into it like a tornado and will be sorted in a few hours

those that have priced accordingly and put in decent quality of work would probably have it done without any carpet damage scratches all over the cupboard and taken care in your home in two days

put carpet protector all over stairs carpet,i was only getting 200 quid ,my mate made far more than me,but hey that's life.Did have a apprentice though as a fetch and carry pig

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a conventional gravity fed copper cylinder which is about 30 years old and planning to change to a direct mains fed hot water tank. Boiler is Gas and new (2-3 years old). I understand directed feed tanks need a drain outlet and a 22mm mains feed so that will add to the time but how long should I expect to be without hot water heating etc ?:disappointed:

Direct cylinder?

It really all depends how easy/hard it is to get a 22mm mains there and a discharge pipe of appropriate size out all else is easy

Honestly, in a std house with the airing cpd middle of the house top of the stairs, it is a 1 day job even swapping the heating to an S plan and if i was sending someone to do it that is what it would be priced on.
The only way it could be a 2 day job is if the customer was stupid enough to go for time and line.
I couldn't spin this job out to 2 days even if i went into a coma about lunchtime on the monday and woke up at 3 oclock on the tuesday.

I had one that took me half a day JUST to drain old cylinder & heating & remove the cylinder!
Old cylinder was an unvented copper unit with the airing cupboard built tight around it.
So a bit of a guess to say how long it takes to fit an unvented unit. If I had to give a time on a relatively standard one, I would say 1 & 1/2 days or a very hard days work.

Ripped out tank and cylinder,re piped s plan,fitted unvented filled up,had a temp lead fitted to immersion,got it working for 5.00 pm,did it subbing for a mate's company.The customer was a Docter living on her own she had been ripped off by some dubious builders

Honestly I hate the word temp. You can't temp anything. If it's connected it's connected, it must work as intended, tested and correct. I was asked awhile back to go and temp a gas cooker, I asked don't you mean fit a gas cooker? To which I got the reply "no it just needs temping up for the night". It's not a word that should be used. It's especially should not be done with an unvented cylinder, if it's working it should be working and not have uncontrolled heat source etc...

Last edited:
Honestly I hate the word temp. You can't temp anything. If it's connected it's connected, it must work as intended, tested and correct. I was asked awhile back to go and temp a gas cooker, I asked don't you mean fit a gas cooker? To which I got the reply "no it just needs temping up for the night". It's not a word that should be used. It's especially should not be done with an unvented cylinder, if it's working it should be working and not have uncontrolled heat source etc...

cannot all live in an ideal world mate,some of us have bills to pay,the electrician called back to temp it.Fitted temp leads on combi's hundreds of times.

cannot all live in an ideal world mate,some of us have bills to pay,the electrician called back to temp it.Fitted temp leads on combi's hundreds of times.

Yes I understand, but what I'm getting at is the use of the word temp, it's not a temp lead. It's a lead that should be correctly wired, sized, fused, tested and safe even if it's to be changed at a later date. I'm sure that's what you do yourself, but I'm also sure you've seen like me block connectors hanging, boilers wired to immersion cable etc....

I just personally hate the word temp with these things, maybe it's because I've been electrocuted because of idiots not being able to wire a "temp" and also have known tenants get electrocuted also.

As as regards an ideal world, we all go back after the sparks to correctly commission don't we? ;) do we ek

Last edited:
Yes I understand, but what I'm getting at is the use of the word temp, it's not a temp lead. It's a lead that should be correctly wired, sized, fused, tested and safe even if it's to be changed at a later date. I'm sure that's what you do yourself, but I'm also sure you've seen like me block connectors hanging, boilers wired to immersion cable etc....

I just personally hate the word temp with these things, maybe it's because I've been electrocuted because of idiots not being able to wire a "temp" and also have known tenants get electrocuted also.

As as regards an ideal world, we all go back after the sparks to correctly commission don't we? ;) do we ek

On second thoughts AW,you are quite right it shouldn't be a temp it should be done right first time,been doing too much price work for too long,

Hells Guys,

It's installed whilst you been talking about it.:13: he moved on to the next job.

I wish I could tick my own LIKE button :59:

Last edited by a moderator:
On second thoughts AW,you are quite right it shouldn't be a temp it should be done right first time,been doing too much price work for too long,
I think this is the problem with guys who have been on price work, They have to rush around like headless chickens because the rates are crap, and a certain amount turn out crap work and this spills out into other work they do, cutting corners because they under price the jobs they do, Only person who gains (sometimes) is the customer , what have you got ? worked like a slave for a hand-out, comes a day when you will realize this ! Work smarter not Harder, Give a realistic price & time for what you do !

I think this is the problem with guys who have been on price work, They have to rush around like headless chickens because the rates are crap, and a certain amount turn out crap work and this spills out into other work they do, cutting corners because they under price the jobs they do, Only person who gains (sometimes) is the customer , what have you got ? worked like a slave for a hand-out, comes a day when you will realize this ! Work smarter not Harder, Give a realistic price & time for what you do !

very true,but south Yorkshire has always being poor for work compared with a lot of other area's so you get pigeon holed into subbing ,as their is over 50 gsr's within a mile radius of me.

but south Yorkshire has always being poor for work compared with a lot of other area's so you get pigeon holed into subbing ,as their is over 50 gsr's within a mile radius of me.

If you think life's tough, guess what - it is! - If you think life's easy, guess what - it is. There is plenty of well/ correctly paid work out there to be had - you just have to change your mindset. Know your strengths, sell them.

We always allow two days for a swap to unvented, you just don't know what problems your going to hit (I actually asked the same question as this headline about 2 months ago, thinking it was taking us too long and we were doing something wrong) - as it happens we are back in with the same customer replacing all their heat emitters (16 of them), precisely because of the quality of work and care that we took with the work first time around.

p.s. GP' clear about £100k / year thats £300/day every day even when they are on holiday.. no materials, no insurance, no VAT, no accountant..

Last edited:
very true,but south Yorkshire has always being poor for work compared with a lot of other area's so you get pigeon holed into subbing ,as their is over 50 gsr's within a mile radius of me.
Think that's a lot, try the Plymouth area over 600 plumbers lost count of GSR's every week see a couple of new vans around, must be a factory production line turning them out, rates are the worst I've seen for 30 years, why does every one want to be a Plumber ? certainly not for the money ! not these days any-way, getting to the stage when you have to work just to cover the on-going training costs. & equipment required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How long to install an unvented hot water tank ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock