Search the forum,

Discuss How long should plumbing and heating system last in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maitri

Bought a new build last year, 2nd buyer, first buyer sadly died within a year, he had bought from new July 2008, therefore we are now out of the 2 year builders warranty and into the remaining 8 years NHBC which doesn't cover plumbing . Phase 1 of this build consisted of 12 houses, 2 are still to be sold, 4 have had no plumbing problems (plumber plumbed 4 then wasn't paid by builder and things when downhill). All 6 of remaining properties have had plumbing problems from Day 1, leaks baths / showers / toilets / radiators / boilers losing pressure. The plumber re-plumbed the first house of the 6 sold because there was a leak below floor level, builder's new plumber said it was easier to re-plumb than try to find the leak . (Original plumber now out of business). Currently we have been without hot water or heating for 12 weeks as we had the system insured with D&G but they found the boiler full of sludge and swarf which indicated to them that the boiler / system had not been commissioned from new and told us to go back to the installer. We know that 3 of the 6 boilers on the estate constantly loose pressure which seems to imply problems. (Doesn't appear to be any Benchmark Certificates but NHBC said there must have been otherwise they would not have passed building regs via NHBC). All of this raises issues in relation to Consumer Law, such things as 'fit for purpose' 'durability' etc.. So has anyone any idea if the industry has any guidelines for how long a consumer should be able to expect a plumbing / heating system to last? There seems to be two Q's here 1. whether a plumbing and heating system could ever be considered 'fit for purpose' etc if there is evidence that from day 1 that a leak below floor level would result in expensive and disurptive repairs or a potential replumb? (No access to underfloor joints). 2. whether a plumbing and heating system could be considered 'fit for purpose' if from day 1 there is evidence of constant leaks and subsequent damage to flooring / floor coverings etc. In other words how many repairs a year would the industry believe would be acceptable to the consumer as a result of using plastic rather than copper? We lived in our last house 34 years and never had any leaks we certainly didn't feel we had to worry about what would flood next! Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
properly installed, commissioned, ongoing inhibitor treatment it will last for years.
unfortunatly new builds prices pay so poorly that decent engineers will not consider it unless there was no other option/ no work.
ending up with engineers doing the work for poor pay meaning you have to bash them in so fast to make half decent money.

decent engineers will not consider it unless there was no other option/ no work.

so true i moved into a new build house and being gas registered myself the 1st thing i checked was the boiler, the ideal icos flue was 200mm away from extractor vent, told the builders barratts whos "gas engineers" said i was wrong and didnt know what i was talking about, building inspector also had passed it, they eventually came back with it was a design error! a plumbe deflector was fitted, ideal still said it wasnt to there instructions so they came and move the vent away as it should have been in the 1st place. as i look around the site i can see at least 10 others exactly the same! how do they get away with it?

decent engineers will not consider it unless there was no other option/ no work.

so true i moved into a new build house and being gas registered myself the 1st thing i checked was the boiler, the ideal icos flue was 200mm away from extractor vent, told the builders barratts whos "gas engineers" said i was wrong and didnt know what i was talking about, building inspector also had passed it, they eventually came back with it was a design error! a plumbe deflector was fitted, ideal still said it wasnt to there instructions so they came and move the vent away as it should have been in the 1st place. as i look around the site i can see at least 10 others exactly the same! how do they get away with it?

you paid for a house with a icos fitted????????????i would have wanted money off just for that,200mm from a extractor and they said you were wrong? that subtlety that fanned flues from any opening must be 300 mm min or mi,s

you paid for a house with a icos fitted????????????i would have wanted money off just for that,200mm from a extractor and they said you were wrong? that subtlety that fanned flues from any opening must be 300 mm min or mi,s

yes i was wrong and there boss even turned up to look and admitted it was wrong after a long argument, blamed the lads as he said but if that is the case why are they left alone if there not competent. i hate ideal products but plan on removing soon with a greenstar and a solar panel set up.

i think id be more worry'd about the rest of the house, i.e areas your not that hot on.. if they pass such obv faults , what else do they allow??

Did you use a surveyor in the buying process as it seems as if things were missed before you moved in.

i think id be more worry'd about the rest of the house, i.e areas your not that hot on.. if they pass such obv faults , what else do they allow??

i dread to think, only been here a year and allready ripped out 1 bathroom and that was patched together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How long should plumbing and heating system last in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock