Currently reading:
how can we compete with these prices?

Discuss how can we compete with these prices? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

obseen16

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
just went to quote a new combi boiler currently the old combi has had it and needs replacing, took a look at what needed doing, gas is wrong size so needs re running and no existing condensate pipe so that needs running also. the customer has had one quote already from a guy who isnt local and hasnt even been out to see the job, he sent her a text message saying "worcester bosch combi £1200". WHAT The hell???. just been to my lovely merchants today to get some prices in. quoted for a 27cdi plus all parts flushing chemical inhibitor etc, my quote all in with labour came to £1500 +VAT i shaved off as much as i could afford to and still cant get anywhere near the text message quote. the customer has no idea what his work standards are nor has she heard of him before yet she is more than likely going to go for the cheap guy over us, how the heck could he get his quote so so cheap? or are we just getting a rum deal at our merchants?

Have you got his name and number? that works out cheaper than me taking a day off work to change my own :) Or when I get combi swaps at £1500 ill just use him to do it for £1200 and pocket £300 for doing nowt. Could be on to a winner:)

worcestor boiler 800 (and thats a good price)
other parts 100
labour 300 (if hes in and out in a day then fair enough)

if he has any problems its going to be 2 days
150 a day...

anyone can be a busy fool

If it's a greenstar junior entry level then you can pick em up at a reasonable price. Clock and flue kit not much. Straight swap a doddle. Depending on how much gas pipework you've got to replace will add a bit. In which case it can be done in a day. BUT Probably won't include system flush and inhibitor afterwards though which Worcester insist on.
Ask the customer if he has included that in the price. If he has I'm giving up!!

I've had to slash my prices too, £300 labour for replacing a boiler is about all I can charge without being undercut. I'd rather have £300 than no money at all coming in. Likewise all I can charge for a powerflush is about £200 to £250 or I get outbid.

Another way around it, and providing the pump still works on the existing boiler, is to chuck a load of sludge remover into the system about 3 or 4 days before the boiler swap. Not as effective as a power flush but should do a good job. Not sure where this would stand with Worcesters warranty though?

it could only be an estimate.

otherwise she is taking you as a fool.....
anyone can play that game going on ficticious quotes and waiting for you to better it.
give her your real price and stick to it, then tell her yours is real.

be upfront and honest
looked at replacing a suprima(surprise surprise) with a glow worm 15hx told her cost of boiler and parts as i dont make money on this and told her 600.00 labour including full powerflush
she was quoted 150.00 cheaper but is still going with me because i went into detail about flush etc
anyone can chop a boiler and chuck it in in a day but not rerun pipework etc as well
anyone doing a chop for 300 has to be doing it in a day with no flush so no warranty

Put yer card through the door and offer a service to put it all right and legal after they have taken the money and run!!!!

In the long run customers will learn that cheap is not always the right way or the best way

I know its crazy. Check this one out:

vaillant 28kw eco pro combi boiler and its installation on eBay (end time 26-Apr-10 12:28:16 BST)

The boiler is around £750 inc vat
By RS stat im guessing he means RF stat which is £50 for cheapy
Inhibitor £10
Pipe and fittings £50

You are looking at around £860

So he is making £415 on it.

BUT

He is willing to drive anywhere in the UK
No mention of powerflushing
No mention of upgrading gas pipe if needed

I'm struggling to understand how these people make a living

Am sure all these cut corner,rush install,no after sales service,flee bayer lot appreciate all the coverage and free advertising they are getting here :(

It should be made clear ,you get what you pay for,people only replace thier boiler around every ten years and for that time they have to live with the hot water and heating system installed,getting combi's thrown on the wall ,with no flushing, incorrect gas supply, poor water flows and non after sales back up,can only end in tears and for a few hundred £'s false saving,could give them years of living poor performance or they will end up spending twice as much putting things right :(

Luckily most people must realise this as the flee bayer has no feed back apart from 1,probably from his mum
imho

Last edited by a moderator:
if you make £415 you only need to do one a week to get by, depending on out goings. some weeks you may fit in two. Could easily earn 25k a year, youd have to work for it but when things get tuff you have to do what you have to do

if you make £415 you only need to do one a week to get by, depending on out goings. some weeks you may fit in two. Could easily earn 25k a year, youd have to work for it but when things get tuff you have to do what you have to do

true - end of day when self employed you charge what you wanna charge no one knows better than whats needed to survive than the person himself.

Am sure all these cut corner,rush install,no after sales service,flee bayer lot appreciate all the coverage and free advertising they are getting here :(

It should be made clear ,you get what you pay for,people only replace thier boiler around every ten years and for that time they have to live with the hot water and heating system installed,getting combi's thrown on the wall ,with no flushing, incorrect gas supply, poor water flows and non after sales back up,can only end in tears and for a few hundred £'s false saving,could give them years of living poor performance or they will end up spending twice as much putting things right :(

Luckily most people must realise this as the flee bayer has no feed back apart from 1,probably from his mum
imho
well put:cool:

Boiler manu's do NOT insist on a powerflush but they DO stipulate following BS7593 2006 which does not require a powerflush.

You will find that its proberly someone has a contact at the local council or supplier knocking them out for £400 it happens all the time.
As for selling a boiler, many times I have been as high as £400 higher on a quote but if you nice, easy talking, explain well and they like you, most of the time you will get the job.
I use my service plan, nice printed cards that get stamped each year giving them a clear record.
You dont need to be the cheapest you just need to be the best :)

some businesses will not lower prices. There idiology is that some people consider price to reflect the quality, happens in retail alot. If you do a very good job, look the bizzo you can charge high prices for a quality product. You wont get as much work but you will get the higher end of the market with better prospects of getting your money. Big risk though I agree, less work more money potential though.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to how can we compete with these prices? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock