Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water tank noise? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Why is my hot water tank making some sort of irritating whistling noise after I take a shower?

You need to give more details if you're expecting people to be helpful.
What system do you have tank fed or main feed? How old is the tank? It's it the tank whistling for sure? Electric or boiler heats it up? When did it start, any alteration happened before it started doing it?

You need to give more details if you're expecting people to be helpful.
What system do you have tank fed or main feed? How old is the tank? It's it the tank whistling for sure? Electric or boiler heats it up? When did it start, any alteration happened before it started doing it?
Not sure what system but a tank from the attic fills the hot water tank. Tank is about three years old.A boiler does in fact heat it up.Happening maybe a month now.Only alteration was the cylinder return gate valve and cold feed to cylinder gate valve that was messed about by my kids

Not sure what system but a tank from the attic fills the hot water tank. Tank is about three years old.A boiler does in fact heat it up.Happening maybe a month now.Only alteration was the cylinder return gate valve and cold feed to cylinder gate valve that was messed about
Do you have 2 tanks in the attic or only one?
In my opinion the valves supposed to be open.
The boiler heats up the water in the circuit which actually goes into the coil within the cylinder. The hot coil warms up the water in the cylinder which comes out of the tap. Two different circuits, the two water don't mix. The water from the boiler through the coil has additives to protect the closed circuit. When you open the shower maybe the cylinder has a restricted flow now from the storage tank. If there is a valve on the boiler side it can be dangerous however that side not likely to have a valve with a turning wheel.

Wait until someone confirms this.

If the young ones have access to these maybe it worth to swap the valves for screw driver operated ones without handle.
You could open the valve(s) a little bit more if you can and check the noise if it's getting any better.

A whistling sound could well be the ball valve in the Cold Water Storage tank in the loft.
This will be re-filling after your shower, easiest way to check is just go up in the loft after someone else’s shower- if it is the ball valve it will be obvious.

Do you have 2 tanks in the attic or only one?
In my opinion the valves supposed to be open.
The boiler heats up the water in the circuit which actually goes into the coil within the cylinder. The hot coil warms up the water in the cylinder which comes out of the tap. Two different circuits, the two water don't mix. The water from the boiler through the coil has additives to protect the closed circuit. When you open the shower maybe the cylinder has a restricted flow now from the storage tank. If there is a valve on the boiler side it can be dangerous however that side not likely to have a valve with a turning wheel.

Wait until someone confirms this.

If the young ones have access to these maybe it worth to swap the valves for screw driver operated ones without handle.
You could open the valve(s) a little bit more if you can and check the noise if it's getting any better.
Yh I may change the valves when I can.To answer ur question there's only one tank box in the attic.I'm thinking there may be air stuck somewhere that may be causing the hot water tank to make a whistling noise when refilling after a shower

A whistling sound could well be the ball valve in the Cold Water Storage tank in the loft.
This will be re-filling after your shower, easiest way to check is just go up in the loft after someone else’s shower- if it is the ball valve it will be obvious.
Is there anything in particular I should look out for that may be faulty?

The float valve that refills the tank.
The whistling is often cured by replacing the diaphragm, but can also be a sticking mechanism or a hairline crack in the brass or a damaged forcing cone.
Tbh if you don’t know your way around the float valve just replace the whole thing (£7 or £8) - that is what 90% of plumbers would do anyway.

Try what @Ben-gee suggested first. The ball valve gives hissing noise if faulty typically. Otherwise, the valves the kids tempered with could be somewhat off.
No problem 1.is there a way to remove air from the system because I feel that my be the issue and 2.is there a certain position the gate valves need to be

No problem 1.is there a way to remove air from the system because I feel that my be the issue and 2.is there a certain position the gate valves need to be
The valves supposed to be open. They are there to save water in case one needs to drain off some water for maintenance so don't need to let the whole storage tank of water down the drain. In some cases if you get too much pressure tho it can be partially closed to restrict flow.
How high is the tank approximately? May you can take a picture of the components? Did you try to open them up a little?

The valves supposed to be open. They are there to save water in case one needs to drain off some water for maintenance so don't need to let the whole storage tank of water down the drain. In some cases if you get too much pressure tho it can be partially closed to restrict flow.
How high is the tank approximately? May you can take a picture of the components? Did you try to open them up a little?
No I never tried to open any components but the tank is about 1.1 metres tall .had a previous issue with the return flow gate valve that according to people from here was supposed to be three turns closed from open position so that's why I'm wondering if the valves are supposed to be in a particular position

Not quite clear which pipe you're mentioning. There is such pipes as 'flow' and 'return' there is no 'flow return'.
Hard to tell which position the valves should be. Normally open but as I see someone adjusted the water flow with them.

Not quite clear which pipe you're mentioning. There is such pipes as 'flow' and 'return' there is no 'flow return'.
Hard to tell which position the valves should be. Normally open but as I see someone adjusted the water flow with them.
My fault the tag says cylinder return balancing valve that has been tampered with previously by the kids

My fault the tag says cylinder return balancing valve that has been tampered with previously by the kids
Have you got a pump on the return pipe or maybe on the flow pipe?
Could be that the restricted flow, if the valve turned off a bit, causes the pump to struggle.
Seriously, get the water going and identify the source of the noise.

Is this gate valve on a pipe joining the flow and return pipes to the cylinder?
This is a bypass and needs to open the correct amount for your system - if this has bend mucked snout with it could well cause the whistling, but that would only be when the boiler was heating up the water.
Does your whistle occur when the boiler is off?
If so - go look at that float valve in the loft…

Ok that is the bypass - if it’s causing the whistle ( ie only occurs when boiler is on) - the open up the bypass gate valve until it stops the noise.

We've all been there – you step out of a relaxing shower, only to be greeted by an unexpected and annoying whistling noise from your hot water tank. But fear not, as this common issue has a solution!

The culprit behind this pesky noise is often trapped air within the water heater. When water flows into the tank and heats up, air bubbles can get trapped, creating that aggravating whistle as they try to escape. Here's how to tackle it:

1. Bleed the Air Out: Locate the pressure relief valve on your hot water tank. Gently open it to release any built-up air. You might hear a hissing sound – that's the trapped air making its exit.

2. Check the Water Pressure: High water pressure can exacerbate the air-trapping issue. Consider installing a pressure-reducing valve to keep things in check.

We've all been there – you step out of a relaxing shower, only to be greeted by an unexpected and annoying whistling noise from your hot water tank. But fear not, as this common issue has a solution!

The culprit behind this pesky noise is often trapped air within the water heater. When water flows into the tank and heats up, air bubbles can get trapped, creating that aggravating whistle as they try to escape. Here's how to tackle it:

1. Bleed the Air Out: Locate the pressure relief valve on your hot water tank. Gently open it to release any built-up air. You might hear a hissing sound – that's the trapped air making its exit.

2. Check the Water Pressure: High water pressure can exacerbate the air-trapping issue. Consider installing a pressure-reducing valve to keep things in check.
I can't locate the pressure relief valve any ideas on where it could be?

Reply to Hot water tank noise? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can anyone remember the Mira mixer shower that would work down to a really low pressure on a vented hot water system without a shower pump?
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock