Discuss hot water in central heating header tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iwol

hi just seen my overflow running from the central heating header tank,when i went in the loft i found hot water entering the tank from the pipe just above the tank ,could anyone please tell me what causes this please ps my radiators are getting hot ok cheers

its called pump over.

useally caused by- pump speed to high, sludge in system, cold feed blocked, faulty boiler stat.

have you done any work on the system lately ?
whats the condition of the water in the bottom of the tank ?
how old is the system ?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for reply,just turned pump down to no2,it was on three,still a bit of water going into header but not like it was ,havent done any work on the system for a while and water in tank doesnt look too bad should this tank be completely cold all the time cheers

yes completly cold.
check the cold feed from the tank to the system is the pipe cold or hot ?
if its hot after about a ft upwards poss a blocked cold feed.

one way to check if to drain some from the lowest draincock and if the ballvalve opens and refills you know its clear if the system drains and the tank is full the pipes blocked.

or run a magnet down the pipe near where it joins the system if it trys to stick its got a blockage there.

thanks sonray checking now

seems turning pump to no2 may have worked ,theres no water going into the header now, and the pipe you mentioned is hot all the way down to the ceiling,just double checked water in tank and it has a rusty tinge to it ,but only just tinged, is this normal, and by the way thank you very much for your help and advice

n02 is normal for a general house.
probably due to the age its not that bad if not been touched for yrs.
but the brown will be rust and long term is not good but if your not forever blowing rads etc don't loose sleep over it.

>hot all the way down to the ceiling.

what do you mean ? the ceiling of the room below i take it.
it should really be cold the vent pipe will be hot quite away up but the feed should only be hot about a ft from where it joins the system.

(the pipe may just be hot cause the tanks got hot water in it. let it settle then check tomorrow)

keep your eye on it, if the top of the upstairs rads start going cold.
you know its not letting water into system

by the way theres a pipe that is teed off from the pump output before it gets to the diverter valve that has a valve on that looks like it goes to the return of the water/heating ,what is this and should it be open/closed cheers

thats a bypass loop.
have you any rads with trvs fitted (thermostatic rad valves) ?

the hot pipe i mention comes out the bottom of the header tank and goes down throught the ceiling

five with trvs and three without

the hot pipe i mention comes out the bottom of the header tank and goes down throught the ceiling

let it settle as the tank has had hot water in, so tomorrow when it gos cold and the system is running that pipe should stay cool.

thanks does the valve need to be open what does it do please

depends does the rads have trv's fitted if yes the the valve should be open about 1/4 - 1/2 max turn

if no trv's shut it or leave at 1/4 turn

its to take the flow to the when the trv's start closing when rooms up to temp.

thanks once again sonray your a gent, going now with peaceful mind hopefully, thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to hot water in central heating header tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just recently noticed the overflow has started pouring water out, there are three tanks in the loft and I'm quite sure this is from the...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any...
Replies
Views
Hello, I've just found this forum and wondering if anyone can please help us. We've not long moved into our new home. It's has Johnson and Starley...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock