Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water cylinder smart thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I’m looking for a Hot Water Cylinder Smart Thermostat. But I want to be able to monitor the tank temperature over time so I can see when the hot water is being drawn off and how quickly it recovers. So maybe recording the temperature every 5 minutes and saving this data.

Does such a thing exist?

Perfect, I had not even considered this. I was fixed on a smart thermostat.

I have a 300L unvented cylinder, this serves 6 tenants, 2 showers. It has a secondary return and tank heated 24/7 by 20kw boiler. Until recently it’s never run out. But in the last 2 weeks we’ve run out of water twice.
Before even considering upgrading I want to understand what’s going on.

Safety valves discharging ?
Heating on at the same time as the HW?
Don't ever be tempted to replace/remove/disconnect the unvented thermostats & fit another type of stat, as that would not be a very "SMART" thing to do!!!!
I have seen it done with the rush for so called smart controls & it could be very dangerous. Get a G3 plumbing in to take a look might save yourself £100.

It is an unvented cylinder servicing a tenanted property of course it needs servicing, did you not read the manufacturers instructions ?
I deserved that, it was a bit of a dump response. Boiler serviced yearly, I was referring to cylinder but did not make it clear.

I did not get cylinder serviced, I’ll ask plumber about that tomorrow.

Glad you commented about not changing thermostat. I’ll also mention this.

I’ll see if I can find a picture tomorrow.

I still like the external data logger idea.

Hastings too far for us , unfortunately no register, there perhaps should be.
Problem is always those that install don't always know how to repair or even sometimes service them. I take it, it was notified to local BC.
Ask for a copy of their G3 / unvented Certificate, they shouldn't mind & at least you will be covered if there are any problems.

I know the boiler was registered with BC, not sure about cylinder, is that a requirement?
Shame about the register, that does sound like an oversight by our government.
How often do you need to refresh your G3 to stay compliant?

896E1D1F-13AE-41F1-A006-8FF50E49CE6C.jpeg
I asked my plumber about servicing cylinder, he was hell yeah, you need to check this n that and that n this. Made sense having spoken to him. He said look at back of booklet got with cylinder, need to dig this out.
I also took a photo

Them esi stats are a pain check your cylinder temp is correct eg hot water temp 60 - 65 Dc stored

No worries, I’ll ask him to review.
Thanks for heads up.
More importantly Michael from what I can make out from your photo you have a Grundfos AutoAdapt Comfort 15-14BA PM secondary hot water circulator installed, & from what I can see, the sensor has been fitted to the return pipe not the flow out of the cylinder so the pump can't learn your usage pattens & maybe running all the time. Along with the fact that there is no insulation fitted to the pipework this will be wasting lots of energy (gas) & I believe that was why you originally posted.
Please check it out & let us know.

PS. it is a requirement under the Building Regs that the hot (flow & return) pipes are insulated.

Last edited:

Reply to Hot water cylinder smart thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock