Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water cylinder smart thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I’m looking for a Hot Water Cylinder Smart Thermostat. But I want to be able to monitor the tank temperature over time so I can see when the hot water is being drawn off and how quickly it recovers. So maybe recording the temperature every 5 minutes and saving this data.

Does such a thing exist?

Perfect, I had not even considered this. I was fixed on a smart thermostat.

I have a 300L unvented cylinder, this serves 6 tenants, 2 showers. It has a secondary return and tank heated 24/7 by 20kw boiler. Until recently it’s never run out. But in the last 2 weeks we’ve run out of water twice.
Before even considering upgrading I want to understand what’s going on.

Safety valves discharging ?
Heating on at the same time as the HW?
Don't ever be tempted to replace/remove/disconnect the unvented thermostats & fit another type of stat, as that would not be a very "SMART" thing to do!!!!
I have seen it done with the rush for so called smart controls & it could be very dangerous. Get a G3 plumbing in to take a look might save yourself £100.

It is an unvented cylinder servicing a tenanted property of course it needs servicing, did you not read the manufacturers instructions ?
I deserved that, it was a bit of a dump response. Boiler serviced yearly, I was referring to cylinder but did not make it clear.

I did not get cylinder serviced, I’ll ask plumber about that tomorrow.

Glad you commented about not changing thermostat. I’ll also mention this.

I’ll see if I can find a picture tomorrow.

I still like the external data logger idea.

Hastings too far for us , unfortunately no register, there perhaps should be.
Problem is always those that install don't always know how to repair or even sometimes service them. I take it, it was notified to local BC.
Ask for a copy of their G3 / unvented Certificate, they shouldn't mind & at least you will be covered if there are any problems.

I know the boiler was registered with BC, not sure about cylinder, is that a requirement?
Shame about the register, that does sound like an oversight by our government.
How often do you need to refresh your G3 to stay compliant?

896E1D1F-13AE-41F1-A006-8FF50E49CE6C.jpeg
I asked my plumber about servicing cylinder, he was hell yeah, you need to check this n that and that n this. Made sense having spoken to him. He said look at back of booklet got with cylinder, need to dig this out.
I also took a photo

Them esi stats are a pain check your cylinder temp is correct eg hot water temp 60 - 65 Dc stored

No worries, I’ll ask him to review.
Thanks for heads up.
More importantly Michael from what I can make out from your photo you have a Grundfos AutoAdapt Comfort 15-14BA PM secondary hot water circulator installed, & from what I can see, the sensor has been fitted to the return pipe not the flow out of the cylinder so the pump can't learn your usage pattens & maybe running all the time. Along with the fact that there is no insulation fitted to the pipework this will be wasting lots of energy (gas) & I believe that was why you originally posted.
Please check it out & let us know.

PS. it is a requirement under the Building Regs that the hot (flow & return) pipes are insulated.

Last edited:

Reply to Hot water cylinder smart thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock