Discuss Hot Water Cylinder for ASHP in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sinaloa

Hi,
I wonder if someone will help me resolve conflicting advice from various plumbers regarding the replacement of my old hot water cylinder (20+ years old) which has begun to leak. I had a 14 Kw Ecodan fitted last year (thats a whole other story!!!) but retained my old cylinder in a vented system.
The installers of the system originally recommended that we convert to an unvented system when the hot water cylinder needed replacement but are now recommending that they replace the old hot water cylinder with an unvented 300l Megaflo but used in our vented system and with the two coils "plumbed together" to improve recovery time. If I were to go this route it seems that the Elson Zircon 300 or a Plumbase "badged" version would be a much cheaper alternative with the same benefits?

Would there be any benefits from converting to an unvented system - we have shower pumps installed so don't have pressure problems in the house? And the loft tanks are not a problem.

Other plumbers who I have contacted have suggested that the bespoke cylinder from Gledhill with a single coil with a 34 Kw output would be more suitable but I can work out the comparison in heatup times and economy from plumbing together two coils in a cheaper dual coil cylinder. The price differentials seem considerable. They have recommended keeping the vented system.
Ideally I would like to have two horizontal immersion heaters but that is not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance for any guidance/recommendations

The reason you have had no replies, is because it is a job that needs a site visit. You have already said that you have found cheaper alternative(s) with the same benefits, over the Megaflow, assuming you have no knowledge of either, but then ask much more basic questions

We call this nightmare ville.

Sorry if I have unwittingly breached some forum etiquette. I have virtually no knowledge whatsoever of the hot water system - that's why I asked much more basic questions. I have had site visits, all of which give me conflicting recommendations, which is why I posted.
Gas - I did indeed say that I had found cheaper alternatives that SEEM to give the same benefits - but that was a question to the unbiased experts in the forum.

If my question is out of order I'll willingly stop bothering people.

As said it would be better to get opinions from a site survey
If you post up your location there may be a member near you to give you advice

Depending on what you got to spend if it's just reheat times your after acv tank in tank is best
Or joule has just brought out a new tank in tank cylinder too bit as never use done yet unsure what they are like

No point using a megaflow as a vented cylinder, your better off with one that has an external expansion vessel as it will be cheaper and most space efficient. Megaflows have an internal bubble which make the unit larger in comparison to the same volume cylinder with an external vessel.

Your presumably looking for the coil with the greatest surface area so use the manufacturers spec's to figure this out. Heat up times will not be accurate as the input will vary depending on outside temperature and the flow temp will be lower than the manufacturers have tested them at. They do make heat pump cylinders which have a large surface area to ensure efficient heat transfer and will quote heat up times which are more akin to lower flow temps I would imagine.

As said it would be better to get opinions from a site survey
If you post up your location there may be a member near you to give you advice

Depending on what you got to spend if it's just reheat times your after acv tank in tank is best
Or joule has just brought out a new tank in tank cylinder too bit as never use done yet unsure what they are like

Sorry re read your post
For a heat pump you are better going for something with a big coil think ones for heat pumps are normally 1 1/4 inch coils
Don't work with heat pumps so not very clued up but there a few members that could help you out

Looking at similar things in my own property. I have ASHP with rubbish cylinder.. Inherited from house purchase. Unvented is not an option as we have low water pressure and flow. I am actively looking for the best large bore coil heat recovery vessel at a realistic price. Why anyone recommended de-unventing a megaflow is beyond reason.

Looking at similar things in my own property. I have ASHP with rubbish cylinder.. Inherited from house purchase. Unvented is not an option as we have low water pressure and flow. I am actively looking for the best large bore coil heat recovery vessel at a realistic price. Why anyone recommended de-unventing a megaflow is beyond reason.

i have seen a solar one used, both coils linked

Thanks Reg Man. I'd love to hear what you decide. At the moment the only thing I can find is an Albion Aerocyl AAU 300 for Heat Pumps at about ÂŁ1400 plus fitting or a Gledhill HP with a 34 Kw coil at about ÂŁ1130 plus fitting. You will be much better placed than me to know if they are suitable - I have virtually no knowledge at all. I've spoken to Mitsubishi but their units are about ÂŁ4k !! I've spoken to Ariston and they don't produce a unit suitable for ASHP's.
I'll post again if I make any progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot Water Cylinder for ASHP in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is...
Replies
Views
Firstly I won't be touching or going anything... I only want advice if this is right.. my partners dad has a aga that is solid fuel unregulated...
Replies
Views
T
Hi We urgently need to get our h/w cylinder replaced because it's leaking. Our current system is oil boiler feeding underfloor downstairs...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock