Search the forum,

Discuss Hi All, my name is Steve and I am new here. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steven Jones

Good Evening All,

My name is Steve and I am new here in the forums and to the world of plumbing.

I am in the process of leaving the Navy (leave in July after 13 years) and have decided to move away from my I.T based job and try something new (Plumbing and Gas in case you weren't sure). I am currently on a fast track plumbing course (don't hate me for it all you real plumbers, we all have to start somewhere) with Access Training in Cardiff and will also be doing 4 weeks of gas afterwards.

I am really enjoying the course and am looking forward to passing (confident, I have hot water systems (vented) tomorrow morning) the exams and gaining the basics of plumbing. I have read a number of posts of people getting confused about the qualifications available on the fast track courses so wanted to post something to help them and any others seeking answers. Unfortunately as I am new I can't post in the training area yet. I wish someone had explained it to me properly before, as I believed it was a full NVQ course. However now I understand I am more than happy.

Fast track does not get you an NVQ Level 2 or any other level at that. You can only gain that on job, what you do get from fast track is a Level 2 diploma (which I believe is just like the old technical certificate, 6189 I think it was but may be wrong there), which from there you can complete your portfolio by placement or work, thus gaining the NVQ level 2. You will sit several exams (about 12 I think) which are mostly online (GOLA) covering all aspects of plumbing and complete a diploma portfolio of tasks such as installation of bathrooms, cloakrooms, hot and cold water systems etc.

I don't expect that I will be able to start my own business after the course but I am hoping to have a pretty good grounding to start from and maybe one day, after enough time and lots of experience, to do just that. I also expect with the economy being the state it is that a job will be harder to find but the balance of my life has shifted and leaving the Navy was worth the risk.

I do have a couple of questions that maybe someone could help me with.

1. Does anyone know of any ACS Placement/Exam centres in Hampshire (the nearer to Portsmouth the better)?
2. Does anyone know of anywhere to get past papers/revision papers for C&G NVQ Level 2 exams (I have scoured the net and not having much luck)?

And finally, please accept my apologies if I am posting in the wrong place, I am new not just to this forum but forums in general.

I look forward to chatting and using the forums.

Steve :)

Hello Steve and welcome I'm sure someone here will have what you need ...regards turnpin:smile:

:welcome: to the forum Steve :) ... Good luck on your return to Civy street :)

hello my names croppie and i am a alcho...... oops wrong forum
welcome along steve

Hello my name's Croppie and I am an alco................. Oh wow! Veja Du!

Welcome to the madhouse Steve. You'll find a few other matelots on here

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.

Slight commercial conflict of interest here, as a forum sponsor, and part owner of Certifi Training Ltd (see sponsor banner on the right).

Certifi Training runs a centre in Portsmouth that does ACS, but it does not do fast track. Our partner in running it also runs a GSR business, and occasionally takes on placement students as part of that business, but only if he has enough work for (don't take this the wrong way) relatively unskilled labour.

If you click on the Certifi link, get the number off the contact us page, and ring in the morning - ask for Sean - you might get lucky, but no promises.

Hello my name's Croppie and I am an alco................. Oh wow! Veja Du!

Welcome to the madhouse Steve. You'll find a few other matelots on here
have i played that one on you before?

welcome, staying in the Navy would have been the sensible option, speaking as someone whos sat on both sides of the fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hi All, my name is Steve and I am new here. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, looking to gain experience as a plumber's mate in Essex area, I'm from Rayleigh and have a full driving licence and Van. Looking for a step into domestic plumbing. I have experience working in general property maintenance for a family business. I have completed a Level 2 technical...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Currently undergoing my level 2, hoping to get finished in the next few weeks. Looking to gain some experience, if anyone needs a mate etc. Im currently in the forces will be leaving in May however at the minute I can work Mondays/Fridays and weekends. Do not want paying just happy...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I'm sniffing around what to expect of getting a job in plumbing. My job makes me redundant at the end of September. The whole warehouse moves to the Midlands from Bridgewater. Meanwhile I'm doing my NVQ level 2 in plumbing. The goal of the course is Renewable Energy Engineer. I'll...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's found it challenging trying to find a place to work, or gain experience in order to obtain my nvq level 2 even though I've passed my level 2 diploma 2...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am Aiden longster and I am looking for some plumbing work. I have just completed my level 2 diploma and either looking for a level 3 apprenticeship or some work
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock