Search the forum,

Discuss help required please.. confused on gas safe in industrial premises in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

claire 1979

Hi All,
Just wondered if someone out there would be so kind as to help me please.. :confused:

If you have an industrial premises with gas fired central heating does the plumber/gas engineer who carries out routine gas maintenance on the system have to be Gas Safe Registered and do the company he also works for have to be Gas Safe Registered?.

I understand that this is the case in the UK for domestic premises but is it also the same where the system and work being undertaken is in industrial premises?.

Many thanks for your help

Claire

I think what RED means is are you in england politely
could be wrong though

Depends on what you mean by industrial. Do you own a steel foundry or a petrochemical plant?

Probably not so the answer will most certainly be yes and yes.

You also need to check they have the correct competancies to work on whatever plant you have e.g. gas pipes over 1 1/4", boilers over 70kw, radiant tube heaters, fanned convectors etc. Domestic qualifications will be of no use.
You also need to keep records of checks and maintainance work carried out to comply with health and safety legislation.

Whereabouts are you Claire? An what type of business is it?

But as already said, your servicing guy/company DO have to be GS registered.

Yes they have to be gs registered. Whether or not it is a domestic sized installation in a commercial premesis depends on the total volume of gas in the istallation 0.035m cubes being the maximum and size of the appliance 70kw being max. That will dictate if they need to be a commercial engineer or not. But I am a newb to gas not passed acs yet so I'm sure others can confirm.

Cut this from the GSIUR 1998, as it says they do not apply to factories:-

(4) Save for regulations 37, 38 and 41 and subject to regulation 3(8), these Regulations shall not apply in relation to the supply of gas to, or anything done in respect of a gas fitting at, the following premises, that is to say—

(a)a mine or quarry within the meaning of the Mines and Quarries Act 1954(2) or any place deemed to form part of a mine or quarry for the purposes of that Act;

(b)a factory within the meaning of the Factories Act 1961(3) or any place to which any provisions of the said Act apply by virtue of sections 123 to 126 of that Act;

(c)agricultural premises, being agricultural land, including land being or forming part of a market garden, and any building thereon which is used in connection with agricultural operations;

(d)temporary installations used in connection with any construction work within the meaning assigned to that phrase by regulation 2(1) of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 1994(4);

(e)premises used for the testing of gas fittings; or

(f)premises used for the treatment of sewage,

The "BUT" on the end of this though is that organisations have a Duty of Care to their employees, visitors, burglar's etc to maintain a safe environment so companies prove this by generally employing Gas Safe Registered engineers who should know what they are doing.

We recently we asked to carry out a purge from gas to air on a spectacular installation, believe me I have never seen anything even close to the complexity of this. We checked with the responsible person and the premises was registered under The Factories Act. This meant we could, under advise, work up our own procedure for purging and not use UP1. The procedure had to be robust, detailed and verifiable, but we did it. Believe me, I will never get another job like that, I hope!!

Cut this from the GSIUR 1998, as it says they do not apply to factories:-

(4) Save for regulations 37, 38 and 41 and subject to regulation 3(8), these Regulations shall not apply in relation to the supply of gas to, or anything done in respect of a gas fitting at, the following premises, that is to say—

(a)a mine or quarry within the meaning of the Mines and Quarries Act 1954(2) or any place deemed to form part of a mine or quarry for the purposes of that Act;

(b)a factory within the meaning of the Factories Act 1961(3) or any place to which any provisions of the said Act apply by virtue of sections 123 to 126 of that Act;

(c)agricultural premises, being agricultural land, including land being or forming part of a market garden, and any building thereon which is used in connection with agricultural operations;

(d)temporary installations used in connection with any construction work within the meaning assigned to that phrase by regulation 2(1) of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 1994(4);

The "BUT" on the end of this though is that organisations have a Duty of Care to their employees, visitors, burglar's etc to maintain a safe environment so companies prove this by generally employing Gas Safe Registered engineers who should know what they are doing.

We recently we asked to carry out a purge from gas to air on a spectacular installation, believe me I have never seen anything even close to the complexity of this. We checked with the responsible person and the premises was registered under The Factories Act. This meant we could, under advise, work up our own procedure for purging and not use UP1. The procedure had to be robust, detailed and verifiable, but we did it. Believe me, I will never get another job like that, I hope!!

i think you have missed a bit off the end of this cut and paste, which has the exception to these scenarios where the area is used for domestic purposes, therefore meaning that in certain areas within a factory or farm building you need a domestic gas guy to work on the appliance rather than a commercial guy,

With respect Kirkgas, the point I was making is that within a Factory, within the definition of the GSIUR there is no requirement for gas registration, commercial or domestic. All the best Standard8

With respect Kirkgas, the point I was making is that within a Factory, within the definition of the GSIUR there is no requirement for gas registration, commercial or domestic. All the best Standard8

but they shall apply in relation to such premises or part thereof used for domestic or residential purposes or as sleeping accommodation

the part i have highlighted is where i was coming from, i accept the top part where it says the regs dont apply in a factory, however where i have highlighted "BUT ETC" surely means that gas work in those parts does fall under the remit of the regs.

With you, apologies. I see what you mean now. Yes absolutly I had missed that bit in the past, goes to prove how careful you have to be with these things. Thanks for that Kirkgas

Argon Gas, which are procured from reliable vendors of the industry.These gases are widely used in engineering,pharmaceutical, chemical, and offshore Contractor industries. Ammonia gas,Which is used in heat treatment furnaces for reducing its temperature. Further, it finds vast application in agro,chemical and other allied industries. Oxygen gas,which comprises of 21 percent of earth's atmosphere and supports life as well as make combustion possible. It reacts with all the elements except inert gases and finds usage in different areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to help required please.. confused on gas safe in industrial premises in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock