Discuss Help - radiator valves wont disconnect from pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there,

Need a bit of advice please! I am trying to remove two radiator valves in my bathroom as I have bought straight ones for my new towel rail. I have drained the system however the problem is I can't get the two valves off! I can turn them easily with a wrench and have turned them hundreds of times but they wont disconnect from the pipe. Any ideas? A bit hesitant to get a plumber out for a 2 minute job. Thanks in advance.

Link for image: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

http://*********/a/yYHss

The pic is an ISO valve ??

And tbh might be best you call a plumber out unless the system is already drained

Yes thats correct - is it difficult to remove? I have drained the system already

Undo the bottom nut and should come off easily

May need a twist of the main body (valve) but should come off

Undo the bottom nut and should come off easily

May need a twist of the main body (valve) but should come off
It doesn't come off! It turns easily just wont come off. should i use 2 wrenches - one to hold the bottom nut still and one to turn the valve? Was worried i would break the pipe doing this.

It doesn't come off! It turns easily just wont come off. should i use 2 wrenches - one to hold the bottom nut still and one to turn the valve? Was worried i would break the pipe doing this.

Yes you need to do that

You will understand if you remove the top nut

It's not push fit it's a compression fitting

I see, feel so stupid now. Thank you!
Since you didn't know how to dismantle a compression joint I suspect you won't know how to assemble one correctly either. Google 'copper compression joints' for many websites explaining how to do it. Read several. Here's an some fairly detailed information:

Compression fitting - DIYWiki

And I'm expecting ShaunCorb to recommend another below. He didn't like my original suggestion, possibly because it used sealant on the thread rather than a lubricant such as ptfe tape.

Check the finished joints very carefully for leaks. Then check again in a day or so.

Don't forget to put the correct amount and type of corrosion inhibitor back into the system when you refill it.

Last edited:
Since you didn't know how to dismantle a compression joint I suspect you won't know how to assemble one correctly either. Google 'copper compression joints' for many websites explaining how to do it. Read several. Here's an example:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/copper_compression_joints.htm

Check the finished joints very carefully for leaks. Then check again in a day or so.

Don't forget to put the correct amount and type of corrosion inhibitor back into the system when you refill it.

I wouldn't use that link as a reference

• Agree
Reactions: rpm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help - radiator valves wont disconnect from pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I need to replace a radiator in the kitchen, the 10mm copper has split so using this opertunaty to replace it with a towel one and also...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small...
Replies
Views
Back