Search the forum,

Discuss Help buying tools? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kate21

Hi,
my boyfriend is starting up for himself and as its his birthday in a few weeks so i would like to kit him out with new tools, But what sort of tools do plumbers use? a list of the basics would be ideal.

Thanks all,
K

might be worth looking under the thread Most important tools
but coyped this list from there but there are lots more ideas in that thread hope this helps

Originally Posted by puddle

The basic stuff we need are

3 pairs of good quality grips,standard pipe grips

A cheap set of screw drivers with various philips,posy and sloted in

One slotted average size screw driver that you can abuse for many purposes,may get one in set

1 good long philips screw driver

Tape measure

Boat level

Standard Hammer and brick+ wood chisel

Allen keys and maybe security key set

Tap spanner as said

stanly/craft knife

junior axe saw,pipe slices,normal axe saw,do not forget blades :p

adjustable spanner (I have never used mine,corrodes up first)

Foot prints(again I never use as log as you get good quality pipe grips)

Immersion heater spanner

plier set,with pliers,lond nose pliers and wire cutters

Then you want your jointing compounds,ptfe tape,standard washers for taps,ball valves,silicon greese

The Rothenberger Plasticuts are fab for cutting plastic pipe. Not too expensive either. I bought myself the new improved (black plastic) waste pipe cutters the other day and I would recommend them to anyone. I wish they had made them years ago.

Watch this video
[video=youtube;A6L874tuLmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6L874tuLmA[/video]

Last edited:
I'll give you links to the manu's find the cheapest retailer yourself. As they say........Beware of cheap imitations....they can cause severe bodily damage.

Just about anything made by these people [DLMURL="http://www.monument-tools.com/monument.htm"]Drain Clearing Tools, Plumbing Tools, Pipe Cutters, Sheet Metal Tools, Drain Clearing, Rohrwerkzeuge, Wrenches, Plumbing Equipment[/DLMURL]
Pump pliers and pliers made by this lot KNIPEX - The Pliers Company. - Home
Another quality tool maker Bahco – True professionals’ love for increasing their performance by its ergonomics and design
As are these [DLMURL="http://www.ck-tools.com/construction-catalogue.htm"]Construction Catalogue C.K Tools[/DLMURL].
This lot (they re-brand them but they are good) [DLMURL="http://www.rothenberger.com/en/products/product-groups/pipe-and-installation-tools.html"]Pipe and Installation Tools: ROTHENBERGER[/DLMURL]
Some quality yank stuff (mostly big stuff but excellent hand tools) Products - RIDGID Professional Tools

Speaking about Yanks: i still have, and have used ever week since i started working, a 131 yankee. No other screwdriver can match it for slotted screws IMO. Think they have stopped making them now though:(

There are a few others but it is too late and my brain is nodding off.

Buy the best you/he can afford (even second hand off flea bay) and they will last a lifetime. Good tools are worth their weight in gold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help buying tools? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock