Discuss Heat Output Difference Between Finned/Unfinned Rads? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an approx percentage, how much less heat would a single panel non-finned rad give compared to one the same size with convecting fins?

Many thanks.

It depends on what you are comparing.

To compare modern rads - look up the difference between a P1 and a K1 on [DLMURL="http://ukweb.stelrad.com/uk/resources/files/b9f4facf41064b974ee7dc716fd5ca26/elite.pdf"]this stelrad list[/DLMURL] Its a bigger difference than you would think.

Historically, this would be less. Originally, the fins were welded to the gaps between the waterways. When they shifted to welding them directly to the waterways, the output increased massively - IIRC it was about 15%.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on what you are comparing.

To compare modern rads - look up the difference between a P1 and a K1 on [DLMURL="http://ukweb.stelrad.com/uk/resources/files/b9f4facf41064b974ee7dc716fd5ca26/elite.pdf"]this stelrad list[/DLMURL] Its a bigger difference than you would think.

Historically, this would be less. Originally, the fins were welded to the gaps between the waterways. When they shifted to welding them directly to the waterways, the output increased massively - IIRC it was about 15%.

need to rename you "Sheldon" :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to you both.

Quite surprising to see the difference between finned and unfinned rads in that catalogue. Eg. a 600x1400 single goes from 3000BTU to almost 5000BTU just by welding on some fins.

This finned advantage may drop off with time ( 100s of dam spiders this year )

Is there a purpose made tool cleaning tool ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heat Output Difference Between Finned/Unfinned Rads? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an 20yrs heat only potterton 50e boiler with 196x old house - suspended floor - designer radiators, open vent system and hot water...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock