Search the forum,

Discuss heat loss for new builds in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sheff paul

Pricing for some new builds,anyone know some easy on line heat loss calcs ,the ones I usually use are more geared towards older homes ,not heavily insulated new builds.

Judging by some of the new builds i've been in, a 600 x 600 single by the front door should be more than enough!

Just use a normal one or mears..The constructions been around for ever and a day. Find out what insulations been put in ie king span, fibreglass etc etc. the old is the same as the new. just takes a bit of looking at in person or architects spec..I dont think theres a new build specific calc out there at the moment.

I got a mears off ebay based on nice insulated new builds, have yet to use it!

Ask the builder the u values and do proper calculations. Or if it's just for quote just use online software which will prob be slightly high and if you win the work then do proper calculations.

This is a real point of contention with me.

I have used the Mears Calculators for many years for heatloads, with some tried and tested adjustments for heatloads in Melbourne.

I purchased last year a new computer program for heatloads for Australian conditions.

well, after spending all the time in inserting all the required information into the program the heatload was larger than the Mears Calculator.

Mind boggling - due to our temperature is @ 4C in winter and I think the Mears calculator is based on -1C.

I would just use something you feel comfortable and confident with.

What the worst that can happen - you slightly oversize a heating system.

Last edited:
Just use a normal one or mears..The constructions been around for ever and a day. Find out what insulations been put in ie king span, fibreglass etc etc. the old is the same as the new. just takes a bit of looking at in person or architects spec..I dont think theres a new build specific calc out there at the moment.

Just build a spread sheet. Energy losses not that hard to calculate. Every element has an thermal conductivity.

This is a real point of contention with me.

I have used the Mears Calculators for many years for heatloads, with some tried and tested adjustments for heatloads in Melbourne.

I purchased last year a new computer program for heatloads for Australian conditions.

well, after spending all the time in inserting all the required information into the program the heatload was larger than the Mears Calculator.

Mind boggling - due to our temperature is @ 4C in winter and I think the Mears calculator is based on -1C.

I would just use something you feel comfortable and confident with.

What the worst that can happen - you slightly oversize a heating system.
Or you loose the work cos someone tenders lower, as their rads are smaller but still heat the building.

Last edited:
With the ones like Stars or Myson / Heatline you can input your own U-values even if the actual construction is not given. These U-value can be obtained from Part L which states the minimum that the Architect / builder can use for each of the elements (walls, floors, roof, windows etc).

I use the Myson one (even though I hardly ever use Myson rads, I just take the require figure to select other makes which are delta T 50deg C.

Last edited:
With the ones like Stars or Myson / Heatline you can input your own U-values even if the actual construction is not given. These U-value can be obtained from Part L which states the minimum that the Architect / builder can use for each of the elements (walls, floors, roof, windows etc).

I use the Myson one (even though I hardly ever use Myson rads, I just take the require figure to select other makes which are delta T 50deg C.

can you download the myson one Chris,or do you have to buy it

Or you loose the work cos someone tenders lower, as their rads are smaller but still heat the building.

Must be doing something wrong, the calcs can't be more than 10% out and 10% output diff on a rad is pennies, even if your heating a huge space with rads - never do can't see being more than a £30 a plot. If your loosing on rad sizes must be awful working that tight on jobs. We loose jobs on a few occasions but when it's that tight why bother?

I have a spreadsheet that I built for when it needs to be accurate (calculates Fabric & Ventilation heat loads seperately), and I use STARS when I need a quick and dirty version for a ballpark estimate...

The spreadsheet wins out when it comes to accuracy, so long as I have done the survey and measurements properly... Any tool can only be as good as the information that is put into it.
The accuracy really helps when sizing Biomass / Solid fuel systems and forecasting fuel usage etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to heat loss for new builds in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock