Search the forum,

Discuss Health and Safety points for job interview in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Ok so interview tomorrow, had some good advice so far on the other thread.

I have been told to really stress the importance of health and safety.

Not allowed to say PPE apparently, it is probably too general.

I'm thinking fire extinguisher if doing any soldering, keep any tools, equipment out of harms way in peoples property.

I'm actually a bit stumped on this, where i work now it's just a case of get the work done lol

what things would an interviewer be expecting me to say?

leads if any are used
ladders/ working at height
crawling boards

Mention your asbestos aware and used to toolbox talks, should give the guy a hard...

Risk assessment. If you're working in a bathroom and there are razor blades everywhere take steps to remove the danger, if your going to replace a cylinder look at the route you'll be walking politely ask the customer to move anything cluttering your path, also assess the weight and make an arrangement for someone to assist you in lifting it out should you deem it necessary, (never the customer! Never!)

Select the right dust sheets for the surface ie laminate flooring.

Rcd! Every time you plug anything in.

If you'll be working on anything that uses electrics isolate, confirm safe isolation then test the device you used to confirm isolation on a known source. And don't forget to volt pen anything you might touch prior to doing the above.

Safe storage and disposal of waste, and if you suspect asbestos, stop immediately contact your line manager and arrange for sampling. Don't forget those pesky floor tiles they catch people out all the time.

Van. They love an organised van and an organised tool box no use opening the back doors and it all falling out on you.

Ell electrical equipment you carry should be pat tested annually

Data protection. Nothing with a customers name address or job number should be left on display. So if you note something cover it up or store it away don't leave it on the dashboard no matter how irrelevant you think that info is.

Gloves different types for different tasks.

Ladders. Unless it is fixed and blocking you're route never use a customers loft ladder always use the one provided.

Tool boxes should be made highly visible with chevron style stickers to aid the visually impaired. Never leave it in the middle of the room and always try to make the customer aware of its location should they enter the area, same for trailing leads.

If you lift a floor board either place a barrier across the room or place it back before you walk away. An old girl fell through her ceiling a few years back.

Good about the fire extinguisher but they'd rather you weren't a hero and instead got everyone out safely and quickly alerting the brigade ASAP. In areas such as lofts and confined spaces compression is preferred to hot works unless it's unavoidable like gas work for example.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

as above confined spaces, working at heights, first aid kit or ask who is first aid trained

Risk assessment. If you're working in a bathroom and there are razor blades everywhere take steps to remove the danger, if your going to replace a cylinder look at the route you'll be walking politely ask the customer to move anything cluttering your path, also assess the weight and make an arrangement for someone to assist you in lifting it out should you deem it necessary, (never the customer! Never!)

Select the right dust sheets for the surface ie laminate flooring.

Rcd! Every time you plug anything in.

If you'll be working on anything that uses electrics isolate, confirm safe isolation then test the device you used to confirm isolation on a known source. And don't forget to volt pen anything you might touch prior to doing the above.

Safe storage and disposal of waste, and if you suspect asbestos, stop immediately contact your line manager and arrange for sampling. Don't forget those pesky floor tiles they catch people out all the time.

Van. They love an organised van and an organised tool box no use opening the back doors and it all falling out on you.

Ell electrical equipment you carry should be pat tested annually

Data protection. Nothing with a customers name address or job number should be left on display. So if you note something cover it up or store it away don't leave it on the dashboard no matter how irrelevant you think that info is.

Gloves different types for different tasks.

Ladders. Unless it is fixed and blocking you're route never use a customers loft ladder always use the one provided.

Tool boxes should be made highly visible with chevron style stickers to aid the visually impaired. Never leave it in the middle of the room and always try to make the customer aware of its location should they enter the area, same for trailing leads.

If you lift a floor board either place a barrier across the room or place it back before you walk away. An old girl fell through her ceiling a few years back.

Good about the fire extinguisher but they'd rather you weren't a hero and instead got everyone out safely and quickly alerting the brigade ASAP. In areas such as lofts and confined spaces compression is preferred to hot works unless it's unavoidable like gas work for example.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Wow. Thanks! if I get the job do i owe you a % of future earnings? :D

Careful how you use it all you don't want to come over as coached just knowledgeable and cautious.

Above all mate be confident and sincere if you don't know be honest about it. You'll be fine bud

High Viz stickers on toolboxes & put a barrier up when there's a lifted floorboard!!!

I said it before & il say it again, nanny state namby pambies :p but I appreciate up you gotta tick these boxes in the big PLC's

Ooh don't forget the heat mat :)

Thanks guys especially gasmanrob.

Will be well prepared by time i get there, done my research on the company. Might get tripped up on the test but nothing i can do about that, don't always remember 'theory' stuff but can get the job done once i'm there.

Fingers crossed, just hope the van doesn't die on me on the way!

High Viz stickers on toolboxes & put a barrier up when there's a lifted floorboard!!!

I said it before & il say it again, nanny state namby pambies :p but I appreciate up you gotta tick these boxes in the big PLC's

Ooh don't forget the heat mat :)

Over 8000 engineers doing between 2-10 jobs a day each. It's not long before common sense escapes someone or a little mishap becomes a catastrophe.

Especially with social media being so powerful. Look at tesco and the bacon Pringles display for Ramadan. Years ago no one would have known these days people on the other side of the world are offended by it.

Old boy trips over your tool box ends up in hospital contracts mrsa ends up there for two months, daughter tweets to complain about it then it gets shared and so on and so on..

Like you say it's Plc trying to limit its exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Health and Safety points for job interview in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock