Search the forum,

Discuss Groaning Pipes: unvented water cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick Webb

Hi,

Firstly, what a great site, and thanks to all the hard-working and committed professionals who are prepared to take the time to offer advice.

I have a Range Tribune Unvented Electric Water Heater (with expansion vessel). It was installed approximately 2-3 years ago.

I recently had a plumber from a large reputable (but local) firm to visit to perform a service. I asked if he had an unvented certificate. As part of the service, I mentioned that the overflow occasionally leaked.

He checked the expansion vessel and the pressure was low. He restored the pressure to 3 bar.

After he had done this, the pipes started making an awful groaning sound every time the hot water was turned on, especially after the water heater is on. This lasts between 30-90 seconds.

After one week, the noise had not stopped, we called the plumber who came back out. He reduced the pressure in the expansion vessel to about 75% of what it should have been. He explained that if that didn’t fix it, the expansion vessel was probably faulty.

I have taken a video of the noise it makes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuQuT7deA78

Given that the unit is less than 3 years old, and this problem had never existed before the plumber came out to it, I struggle with the notion that this is a faulty part.

Is there anything else this could be?
Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, has the unit been serviced annually or is this the first time it's been serviced?

This is the second service, and the unit is perhaps 3 years old. It has been serviced almost annually.

After help from the Webmaster, I have been able to edit this post and include the link to the video (if this helps).

I had a similar problem after servicing an unvented cylinder once, turned out to be a problem with the pressure reducing valve juddering, water hammer type thing.
We had to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Groaning Pipes: unvented water cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn back and it repeats itself. had boiler checked and told it was the expansion vessel. Had the expansion vessel drained and recharged. plumber told me...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve gauge was going up when the water tank was switched on. My local plumber came and re-pressured the expansion vessel as it was flat, afterwards we tested...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is unvented and pressurised. The cold water feed into this cylinder is from the attic tank, not the mains as I turned off the mains stopcock to see if hot...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock