Discuss General thoughts & advice - non plumb in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
So, I've got a small grounds maintenance contract each morning, it doesn't take long to do.

So I need to provide materials, take waste to refuse site etc.

I get paid per visit, I'm not retained or paid to do other work, I.e reply to emails or take calls after I leave the site.

I'm now getting emails & calls outside of these visits.

I've told the owners it'd be better for them to pay me a fixed monthly amount of which would include weekend visits & out of hour calls etc. They don't want this as its more money.

So what do you do? Tell them the score or suck it up?

Bearing in mind I expect refuse fees to increase as well as PL insurance.

This job just gives me enough to tick over but living a basic life without other work.

Any thoughts?

The owners want to renew the contract but on the basis I do a certain amount of hours & stay at same rate.

Thx

Hi rocket what exactly is the work?

On a side note have you considered going for your gas safe ticket? Firm I'm on is based in Reading and it would be ideal for you.

So, I've got a small grounds maintenance contract each morning, it doesn't take long to do.

So I need to provide materials, take waste to refuse site etc.

I get paid per visit, I'm not retained or paid to do other work, I.e reply to emails or take calls after I leave the site.

I'm now getting emails & calls outside of these visits.

I've told the owners it'd be better for them to pay me a fixed monthly amount of which would include weekend visits & out of hour calls etc. They don't want this as its more money.

So what do you do? Tell them the score or suck it up?

Bearing in mind I expect refuse fees to increase as well as PL insurance.

This job just gives me enough to tick over but living a basic life without other work.

Any thoughts?

The owners want to renew the contract but on the basis I do a certain amount of hours & stay at same rate.

Thx

work out your costs and what you'd like to earn, put this against what there offering and tell them how much you want to do XYZ

I hear and see plenty of people work for less than they should because its better than having no work, but they'd be better off on the dole

All I do is grounds maintenance, litter pick, empty bins, bit of planting, tidying etc.

Very simple tbh, easy

I'd love to get my gas but am quiet quiet in the plumb side, again it's probably more confidence than not knowing what to do.

I was booked to do my G3 this month but now it's Feb with Baxi so that'll be good.

I'm in limbo a bit really, i can't afford to not work but I'm not getting enough plumb work to build knowledge & confidence. Very annoying.

I need to make a decision this year, only concentrate on plumb, advertise, leaflets etc. etc. or carry on as I am and plod on which is ok, no complaints.

I've been thinking about the cscs card to try & get on site as plumbers mate, even 2/3 days a week. Once I start plumb 2/3/4/5 days a week I know I'll snowball & wont look back.

work out your costs and what you'd like to earn, put this against what there offering and tell them how much you want to do XYZ

I hear and see plenty of people work for less than they should because its better than having no work, but they'd be better off on the dole

I agree with what you say although I've never claimed dole. My mum asked me on Sunday if I claimed dole as she knows I'm quiet but never have.

I see it as its better than nowt but working profit out its like ÂŁ8ph after costs, I could get that in a shop!

They want the timed rate rather than a price per week to keep things sorted.

hourly rate should be chargable for all hours worked so if they call you in for extra ork its the usual rate
cscs card is easy to get takes 1/2 hour just buy the book and learn all the hundred questions then find some work as a mate for a few months then go to another site and say your an improver then another and say your a plumber

I think I'll do the cscs card next week. Just H&S I imagine, site safety.

Thanks for your reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to General thoughts & advice - non plumb in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock