Discuss Gateway fitted to fix central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bowesy10

Hi,

I have had a nightmare with my central heating. The rads never use to be greatly hot and think they were balanced out to the best they could be, but It all started when I had a new conventional boiler fitted. Once installed all 5 rads would come on but the main one downstairs would cool down and eventually go off. I have had 2 different plumbers look into this and try and rectify the problem including the lad that fitted the boiler. Firstly their was nothing wrong with the rad or other rads or any of the pipe work between them. Its was not the room stat or cylinder stat and the flow and return are the correct way round. The problem was diagnosed to be the hot water cycle was taking away the hot water slightly from the central heating hence the hot water escaping back into the cylinder causing one of the rads to go off. I had a gateway fitted to a pipe coming off the cylinder to limit the hot water going back round the hot water cycle and to also push round the central heating cycle. This has worked and all rads stay nice and hot and hot water ok but maybe to hot.

The problem now is when hot water turned on alone it sounds like a kettle boiling without water in it (in a way) , a really loud noise on and off for periods plus a loud spitting noise as if the water is struggling to get through where I had the gateway fitted. Thing is if I open the gateway I will be back to square one.

Can anyone shine some light on how I get this problem sorted once and for all.

Cheers

what system do you have? if you get kettling on hot water either you have a fully pumped system and your gate valve is restricted to much or you have gravity domestics which i doubt vey much with a new boiler

I think you've just found the problem I have in my house!!

LOL - too much air in our system. There's a by-pass and I've never thought to fiddle with the gate valve.

its worth trying though as you know if the systems creating to much air its system design or corrosion

I have been thinking about system design too. You might remember/have read, we fitted a new Rayburn and I gave the system a good clean out first. The air problem is much more noticeable now. We're trying to sell so I'm not going to break an arm and a leg over it though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gateway fitted to fix central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
My son has just had a new boiler fitted and hes noticed that the pump runs 24x7 even when both the heating and hot water are set to off. He’s...
Replies
Views
So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock