Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Worry!? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ryster

So, after discovering this forum I now have somewhere to ask other gas engineers questions that I may not get answered by the people I have worked with for years so here we go:

Gas worry.

Does anybody else get this?
I have been doing Plumbing and Heating for 9 years now, I left school at 16, got an apprenticeship with a massive North West firm and stayed with them for 8 and a half years. At the end of last year I had enough, picked my tools up and walked off the job. No notice nothing. I felt that I wasnt ever going to get proper responsability, and wanted to learn more.

In my eyes it was the best thing I ever did.
Anyway, to get the point I started a new job 7 weeks ago. Now in any given year I would have maybe serviced 4 to 5 boilers, and the person I was working with would sign them off.

Now its upto me to sign them off. I will be doing maybe 30 a year now, along with fixing boiler breakdowns and changing parts. So I just wondered, does anyone else worry that they have maybe not done something right?
I thought I was pretty clued up on boilers up until this week where I came across two boilers that were installed whilst I was still in school. I have fixed them both, and found the problems myself, but it just made me think.......Do I really know enough?

Is this just a confidence thing that every youngish person goes through. I know I am doing everything how I was taught in college, I am also recording everything I do.
But over the past few days I have started thinking to myself, Have I been taught enough? What if this happens or that happens?

As I said, I know that my all of my testing is correct and I am recording every single thing I do. I just get that worry in my head every now and then.

So hopefully some of the more experienced lads on here will tell me not to worry, and that with even more experience comes assurance in your own work!

go on a few manufacturers boiler courses mate fault finding ones and stuff like that, im going on vaillant EcoTech range one on tuesday and vokera fault finding HE & SE Boilers next month as im new to the servicing/repair side of things

I think eveyone has doubts in the back of their minds until they become a master :p

all of us if we have worry s from time to time,did i do that right,did i tighten that nut up? its only human nature to think have i left that safe? just set your self a procedure to follow tightness before you start and after you finish,ldf as you go , spillage/flue flow/pressures/gas rate etc etc,dont worry if its a boiler you have not seen before if unsure get the mi,s or ask here install this on your pc http://manuals.aonly.com/index.php?d=Boilers

Last edited by a moderator:
very true no engineer should be in the industry if they dont worry

I worry I am not worrying enough !! :)

But as said,everyone who is being responsible,worries ,thats a good thing within reason

You say you think 'Do I really know enough?' this is good,when you start thinking you know it all,you are going to hit problems

imho

I worry all the time especially when your on the way home in the afternoon - the amount of times I have thought "did I put the cap back on the FGA test point?" I think its a good thing though the minute your stop worrying you'll have stopped to care and if you stop caring then your work will suffer. And as we all know people can get hurt or worse if we make a balls up.

i do the fga cap thing all the time,the worst thing for disturbing your concentration is a custard talking/watching especially if shes fit LOL,thats the worst distraction means i have to back to site to check LOL

i do the fga cap thing all the time,the worst thing for disturbing your concentration is a custard talking/watching especially if shes fit LOL,thats the worst distraction means i have to back to site to check LOL

The FGA cap is my worst offender especiallt that silly little metal cap you have to take off on an ISAR/ICOS (I hate those) - although I have not left one off yet I have been back to a few though to check. As far as the fitties go I have not been in a job with a fit one for ages just get old women and grumpy blokes at the minute that stand over your shoulder watching everything that you do.

we have one here in port talbot answers the door in her very frilly nighty fit as hell,thank god she has a ariston LOL

we have one here in port talbot answers the door in her very frilly nighty fit as hell,thank god she has a ariston LOL

only ever had one custard answer the door in her ultra short frilly nighty with her cleavage showing as much as she could possibly show. and she was way over 60. urghhhhh it still makes me shudder now.

only ever had one custard answer the door in her ultra short frilly nighty with her cleavage showing as much as she could possibly show. And she was way over 60. Urghhhhh it still makes me shudder now.
well! Rule one.......
Never stop worrying or you start not caring, then you will regret it.lol.

only ever had one custard answer the door in her ultra short frilly nighty with her cleavage showing as much as she could possibly show. and she was way over 60. urghhhhh it still makes me shudder now.

same here,only ever had one custard answer the door in a ultra short frilly nighty and he had a right hairy chest !!
:D:D

Ryster , despite the publics miss conception that were all millionaires and perfectionists - we are not . we are human - humans make mistakes - if you see your mistake and don`t repeat it then thats the best any human can do.

i dont worry, well i didnt, just read this thread and now im strating to worry

same here,only ever had custard answer the door in her ultra short frilly nighty and he had a right hairy chest !!
:D:D

ive just remembered another one, a customer of mine whos a pretty well off fella. went over to quote to move some rads on a saturday morning. he answered the door in a pair of cartoon tighty whities and a pair of socks, bear in mind this guy must weigh about 18stone and ive only ever seen him in a suit, he acted like he didnt notice and just started walking around the house showing me what he wanted doing. i was trying so so hard not to burst into tears of laughter, the worst part was when i had to follow him up the stairs. hahaha. hes a good customer of mine to lol.

ive just remembered another one, a customer of mine whos a pretty well off fella. went over to quote to move some rads on a saturday morning. he answered the door in a pair of cartoon tighty whities and a pair of socks, bear in mind this guy must weigh about 18stone and ive only ever seen him in a suit, he acted like he didnt notice and just started walking around the house showing me what he wanted doing. i was trying so so hard not to burst into tears of laughter, the worst part was when i had to follow him up the stairs. hahaha. hes a good customer of mine to lol.

I had a guy answer the door once stark naked with his lad out swinging about,. Makes me laff now but at the time was a little worrying !! Think i got him out of the feather.!

if you dont worry you cant be human we all do it i am constantly second guessing myself it is better to be safe than sorry i am a new is engineer aswell 3 years gas qualified but 10 years in trade i learn new stuff every day especially on old back boilers (thanks to gas man he is a knowledge base in its self ) never worry about worrying worry when you dont worry being over confident is when you will fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Worry!? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock