Discuss Gas training? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also I don't think you can be an apprentice over 24 ??

I'm pretty sure you can be an apprentice at any age. Whether you can get government funding may change based on age, but the employment status of "apprentice" is independent from funding sources.

But he is breaking the law for paying you less than the NMW and owes you back pay - see here for advice on what to do under that circumstance.

I am assuming that the pay rate you are stating of £6 per hour is gross (ie before tax and NI). NMW is calculated on gross, not on take home.

My lollipop lady gets £8 per hour are you not affronted working for that your being exploited big time report him name and shameful him get your money backdated and get out of it.

Wages are an issue across the board, but £6 ph is way too low for anyone other than a second year apprentice who still lives at home and doesn't pay dig money
My eldest son pays his two 13 yr old twin brothers 10 euros an hour when they do web site link work for him during the school hols, ok he pays 10 ph because they are his brothers but they get the job done and are only just turned 13 last week, and trust me they don't pay any dig money

The thing is I left a previous to pursue a career in plumbing and gas, so leaving another one whilst having all the usual bills and 2 young children is very difficult. On my contract I'm employed as a plumber. My colleague has no plumbing quals but is gas safe and he's on £15ph. Funny thing is I had to show him how to put a toilet seat on the recently. I know I'm new to the industry but the fact I carry out all task asked of me surely warrants a much better hourly rate? I know that the issue is greed. I am looking elsewhere for work purely based on the fact I was earning £6.75ph at 16 years old.

Maybe he was playing dumb with the toilet seat..
If it was a 'pre-loved' seat...... id let you put it on too.... lol :)

How? Without an engineer to sign my portfolio it's a no go isn't it?

You can pay for the course yourself and do your portfolio with a gas firm organised by the training provider, or one you sort yourself, however it would need to be very flexible to suit your current job, and some employers won't be happy with you working with another firm while doing your portfolio, but that's for you to discuss with him

I will be paying for the course myself anyway. My boss has said I can have the time off to do the course he just wants me to wait till January or after. I won't be getting a wage for the days I'm off. I want the gas qualification so that I have something substantial to fall back on if it doesn't work with my current boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas training? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock