Search the forum,

Discuss Gas training? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Why is my boss so reluctant to help me gain my ACS and gas safe qualifications? I've been working with him for 7 months now and I've completed my NVQ IN PLUMBING AND HEATING. It's annoying me because before I started with him I told him I wanted to do my gas.

Probably because he's a tight arse and doesn't want to have to pay you more when your qualified

If he is a one man band where is the advantage? How long have you completed nvq2 what's your experience like? Is he busy enough to warrant having 2 gas registered engineers? Are you likely to leave shortly after becoming qualified at his expense? Are you going to think you're suddenly worth more money because you hold a gas ticket? Is he confident to put you out on your own representing his name and business?

Gasmanrob has pretty much summed it up, and 7 months isn't that long to have worked for someone the firms I worked which put plumbers through their gas normally waited till they were there for a couple of years. Have you thought about arranging and paying for your own training so you don't owe anything to anyone and can move on when you want.

Sorry maybe I should have worded that better. I don't want my boss to pay for anything. I paid for my NVQ and I'm still working for less than minimum wage. I'm able to do everything he asks of me just not always at the speed of others. All I ask for is help with the portfolio side of things. I definitely feel it's all do with wages. I ideally wanna go to a college rather than fast track. I already install gas pie work and help with boiler installs. I also do the flow rate and gas rate appliances. I've no intention of going it alone for starters how could I afford to when I'm picking up ÂŁ6ph?

If he doesn't want to help with the portfolio at no cost to himself it does sound slightly iffy are you working for a company or a one man band?

If he doesn't want to help with the portfolio at no cost to himself it does sound slightly iffy are you working for a company or a one man band?
It is a small company set up by one bloke who's trying to expand. I get the impression his reluctance is solely based on me asking for a rise. The fact I don't even pick up ÂŁ50 a day tells you what his about.

different view here but most plumbers that are fully qualified spent 3-4 years before they were allowed to do gas,

Although you are doing gas he is still checking it,

They all feel that everyone must do 5 years experience before starting gas,
My advice is ask him, if you cant talk to him then you wont work for him for years

He may feel that helping with the NVQ is enough for now and you need to wait for gas
or that you should have NVQ 3 first
Offer to take pics in your breaks and see if he will sign it once you have completed it??

If he is a one man band where is the advantage? How long have you completed nvq2 what's your experience like? Is he busy enough to warrant having 2 gas registered engineers? Are you likely to leave shortly after becoming qualified at his expense? Are you going to think you're suddenly worth more money because you hold a gas ticket? Is he confident to put you out on your own representing his name and business?

We have same problem. I'm GSR I want more money..... Ok go find another job .

7months and you want to do gas now. Give yourself a little shake. Wake up.

2 years min before u even get a look in at ours. U can learn all the gas u like but you ain't getting near a course till then!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree in respect to 16 year old boys not being put through there gas which isn't solely based on experience. It's the fact there still children. Same way they can't use an angle grinder until 18. This comes down to money. If he's helped me by paying ÂŁ6ph to a 30 yr old man then who needs enemies. I do everything any other plumber would do just for a lot less money. Also my work on the gas does not get checked anymore. He don't stand watching me.

I'm still working for less than minimum wage. ... how could I afford to when I'm picking up ÂŁ6ph?

I see from another post that you are 30.

Are you in a formal apprenticeship? If not, its illegal for himn to pay you less than ÂŁ6.31 per hour. If you are in year 1 of an apprenticeship, then it is way over the prescribed rate, but year 2 reverts to ÂŁ6.31 at your age.

I agree in respect to 16 year old boys not being put through there gas which isn't solely based on experience. It's the fact there still children. Same way they can't use an angle grinder until 18. This comes down to money. If he's helped me by paying ÂŁ6ph to a 30 yr old man then who needs enemies. I do everything any other plumber would do just for a lot less money. Also my work on the gas does not get checked anymore. He don't stand watching me.

If you do,unsupervised gas work, you and your boss are working illegally and without the qualifications you can't do everything the others can do, and the fact after 7 months you are working illegally doesn't say much about your attitude, I wouldn't work for your boss and I wouldn't hire you either,

Put it to your boss you have been told you can't do the gas work alone unless you do your acs. Personally I feel most need a number of years before doing your gas! An acs qualification does not make you a competent engineer.Yes your age could give you an advantage, I feel most 16 year olds should do a couple of years on the tools before going to college to mek them grow up.

I see from another post that you are 30.

Are you in a formal apprenticeship? If not, its illegal for himn to pay you less than ÂŁ6.31 per hour. If you are in year 1 of an apprenticeship, then it is way over the prescribed rate, but year 2 reverts to ÂŁ6.31 at your age.
No I'm employed as a plumber. I don't get paid to go to college. I footed the bill. What makes me laugh is he wants to take on another plumber but says he's not profiting enough to pay more

Also I don't think you can be an apprentice over 24 ??

I'm pretty sure you can be an apprentice at any age. Whether you can get government funding may change based on age, but the employment status of "apprentice" is independent from funding sources.

But he is breaking the law for paying you less than the NMW and owes you back pay - see here for advice on what to do under that circumstance.

I am assuming that the pay rate you are stating of ÂŁ6 per hour is gross (ie before tax and NI). NMW is calculated on gross, not on take home.

My lollipop lady gets ÂŁ8 per hour are you not affronted working for that your being exploited big time report him name and shameful him get your money backdated and get out of it.

Wages are an issue across the board, but ÂŁ6 ph is way too low for anyone other than a second year apprentice who still lives at home and doesn't pay dig money
My eldest son pays his two 13 yr old twin brothers 10 euros an hour when they do web site link work for him during the school hols, ok he pays 10 ph because they are his brothers but they get the job done and are only just turned 13 last week, and trust me they don't pay any dig money

The thing is I left a previous to pursue a career in plumbing and gas, so leaving another one whilst having all the usual bills and 2 young children is very difficult. On my contract I'm employed as a plumber. My colleague has no plumbing quals but is gas safe and he's on ÂŁ15ph. Funny thing is I had to show him how to put a toilet seat on the recently. I know I'm new to the industry but the fact I carry out all task asked of me surely warrants a much better hourly rate? I know that the issue is greed. I am looking elsewhere for work purely based on the fact I was earning ÂŁ6.75ph at 16 years old.

Maybe he was playing dumb with the toilet seat..
If it was a 'pre-loved' seat...... id let you put it on too.... lol :)

How? Without an engineer to sign my portfolio it's a no go isn't it?

You can pay for the course yourself and do your portfolio with a gas firm organised by the training provider, or one you sort yourself, however it would need to be very flexible to suit your current job, and some employers won't be happy with you working with another firm while doing your portfolio, but that's for you to discuss with him

I will be paying for the course myself anyway. My boss has said I can have the time off to do the course he just wants me to wait till January or after. I won't be getting a wage for the days I'm off. I want the gas qualification so that I have something substantial to fall back on if it doesn't work with my current boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas training? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock