Search the forum,

Discuss Gas pipe sizing conundrum in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkAqua

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Went to look at a job yesterday which involves installing a new Worcester 30Cdi to replace an old myson.

The existing gas supply pipe to the boiler is 15mm from where the gas enters the building (it enters in 1" Steel)

Now here is my problem- the gas meter is some 90 Meters away from the building its a standard old ft/h diaphragm domestic meter. A 22mm pipe comes off the top to where it converts to 1" steel and then goes underground for 90m to the building, where it then rises externally 1m high and enters the buildings kitchen, supplies a commercial oven then a 15mm supply is tee'd in - this feeds the myson boiler.

How the hell do I even start to calculate if I can run supply from where it enters the building in 1" to feed a new boiler?

From where the gas enters the building to where the new boiler will be is 19m with limited bends.

Any advise would be really appreciated, my gut feeling is maybe a uprated meter? but will the 1" steel over 90m be enough?

Ideally we need a main supply right up to the building, but obviously that will have huge cost implications.

Cheers

Mark

Unless you have an aecv where it enters. You may very well be outside igm/up/1b anyway for IV / purging etc

Sorry cant tell if your domestic or commercial

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry mate, I work mainly commercial so have all qualifications

Well looking at the steel lookup tables I have that go upto 50m

50m of 1inch (25mm) steel can manage 3.6 m3 per hour.

So 90m is gonna be considerably less.

Will you get the gas rate needed for boiler also allowing for other appliances ??

Nope

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking this is what they're going to have to do! nightmare!

50m of 25mm will only give you 2m3/hr. You have to work out your maximum demand for all appliances and any likely extensions. Then you an work out your pipe size from the IGE UP/2 documents. It sounds like a commercial ticket is required for the gas installation pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas pipe sizing conundrum in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have decided to remove the timber floor boards and joists as they are effected by damp and rotting. Was hoping to infill and have slab and...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, i've just moved into a property last month and begun to take note of things that may need attention. One of which is the feed to a...
Replies
Views
Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old...
Replies
Views
I have a domestic gas meter located at one side of my building and my boiler/cooker (only 2 gas devices) on the other side of the building. There...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock