Search the forum,

Discuss Gas pipe installed on the outisde of house... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GeorgeOz

Hi there,

I am a little concerned regarding a gas pipe that runs on the outside of my house... The pipe comes off of the meter, straight outside and then runs along the side of the house tees in for the cooker and carries on round the back of the house and then back into the house just under the combi boiler.

It isn't insulated or anything just bare copper. Is this something to worry about or is this normal practice? SHould it be insulated etc, etc?

The pipe is running about 3-4ft high along the side and back of the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once its bracketed correctly and sleeved where it enters through wall to cooker and boiler it would be fine .no need for insulation on gas pipe
one thing would be that if the pipe is in an area where it could be damaged by collision it shud be guarded by trunking or metal guarding

No no no get gas as cold as possible it's boyles law. Higher calorific content at low temps.

No no no get gas as cold as possible it's boyles law. Higher calorific content at low temps.
is that frankie boyles law ermi ? :confused:

it's charles law and you want to increase the gas temperature not decrease it, that way you might get
some gas for free :wink_smile:

pressure would need to be constant though.

[DLMURL="http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/501hcboilingpts.html"]Hydrocarbon boiling points[/DLMURL]

for the gas to freeze it first has to be cooled to the point of becoming liquid.
this happens at -164 degrees centigrade, so keep an eye on the forecast and act accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

I am a little concerned regarding a gas pipe that runs on the outside of my house... The pipe comes off of the meter, straight outside and then runs along the side of the house tees in for the cooker and carries on round the back of the house and then back into the house just under the combi boiler.

It isn't insulated or anything just bare copper. Is this something to worry about or is this normal practice? SHould it be insulated etc, etc?

The pipe is running about 3-4ft high along the side and back of the house.

To give a different slant on this ,in a lot of new build flats the gas run is external now as this is the preferred option,no internal boxing which needs vents in it,if it leaks it will not cause an immediate risk.

Quite true S Paul. I attended a property in Esher last week. It was a New Build (Three Yrs Old) and had a massive leak. Must have been leaking from installation date, at meter union elbow. Good thing Gas Meter was outside, boiler in garage and only gas pipe into property was less than a meter to kitchen hob

I work on new builds, and the gas pipes on the flats run right down the outside in downpipes & that's only because the developer think it looks more pleasing to the eye :/

I work on new builds, and the gas pipes on the flats run right down the outside in downpipes & that's only because the developer think it looks more pleasing to the eye :/

Chances are the Developer doesn't want the gas pipes stolen. all that nice shinny copper, imagine the temptation:vanish:

my mate johnny scumbag loves external copper pipe runs, especially ones that are adequately clipped, they just fall into the swag bag.:)

in downpipes or behind them?

how do you clip em if there in down pipes

Your buggered when the next next guy tees the boilers condensate into the down pipe... All that corrosive water on the gas pipe ;p

Clipped on the horizontal over to the downpipes and the downpipes notched at the back.. Gas pipe clipped and the down-pipe is then extended until the next clip with a coupling. The gas pipe is protected with yellow coating. The down-pipe doesn't connect to a gutter it is capped off to the elements

Chances are the Developer doesn't want the gas pipes stolen. all that nice shinny copper, imagine the temptation:vanish:

Yes for both reasons safety and visuals.. I installed 10 flats worth of gas pipes externally took me the whole day.. Looked amazing until I came on site the next day to find it all stolen.

Clipped on the horizontal over to the downpipes and the downpipes notched at the back.. Gas pipe clipped and the down-pipe is then extended until the next clip with a coupling. The gas pipe is protected with yellow coating. The down-pipe doesn't connect to a gutter it is capped off to the elements

so the copper gas pipe is clipped to the correct distances with pipe clips and then the downpipe sits ontop of it? with the weight of the downpipe on its own clips?

ahh wondered how you did it

so the copper gas pipe is clipped to the correct distances with pipe clips and then the downpipe sits ontop of it? with the weight of the downpipe on its own clips?

Yes I clipped the 28mm pipe every 2.5m using Munson Rings.. & all the downpipes is adequately clipped aswell.

must be a pain to cut the downpipe, do you use a grinder?

ive done simular work in the past but we just fitted downpipes infront of gas pipes.

Yes I clipped the 28mm pipe every 2.5m using Munson Rings.. & all the downpipes is adequately clipped aswell.

must be a pain to cut the downpipe, do you use a grinder?

ive done simular work in the past but we just fitted downpipes infront of gas pipes.

Yes I used a grinder, I would've liked to do it the way you have much I sadly don't get much of a say

Yes I used a grinder, I would've liked to do it the way you have much I sadly don't get much of a say
what are you doing.. you can not be serious man.. the pipe would fall off ..

what are you doing.. you can not be serious man.. the pipe would fall off ..

I have no reason to log into my account to post lies.. I did 6 flats worth last Fridays & given the 80/90mph wind we've had recently I can confirm they're still there intact as I put them.

I have no reason to log into my account to post lies.. I did 6 flats worth last Fridays & given the 80/90mph wind we've had recently I can confirm they're still there intact as I put them.
Okay .. goodnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas pipe installed on the outisde of house... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock