Search the forum,

Discuss Gas pipe in floor of Flat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rf1

Quoting for a replacement boiler in a top floor flat in a 4story tenement block. The gas installation pipe needs to be upgraded and needsto be run under the floor boards – having great difficulty getting a clearunderstanding of what gas regs / building regs actually require in practice in the way of ventilation / fire protection when running installation pipe under thefloorboards of a compartment floor between flats relative to gas in a multi-occupancy building. Any advicefrom anyone recently involved in this type of installation would be greatlyappreciated.

I believe that if the gas pipe is run under floor boards, no extra ventilation is req'd as there is enough adventitious ventilation.

But I'm not 100% if this differs for between flats.

ive done one where the customer had put down laminate just about everywhere, i didnt fancy lifting it so i ran the pipe up into the attic and back down the other side, not too sure on the regulation off the top of my head with regards to running it between flats

Here's ventilation requirements for gas pipes in voids.

Cross section area of duct/void (m.sq) | Min. free area of each opening (m.sq)
Not exceeding 0.01 | 0
0.01 and not exceeding 0.05 | Cross section area
0.05 and not exceeding 7.5 | 0.05
Exceeding 7.5 | 1/150 of the cross sectional area.

You cant run a gas pipe through another property.

Thanks for your input. Had picked up from IGE/G/5 that anypipework in a void ‘such as a ceiling void’ in a multi-occupancy buildingrequired purpose provided ventilation. So called GS last week hoping to getadvice on how to do this to be told gas pipe can’t be run under the floor of aflat as building regs (more specifically fire regulations) don’t allow it.
Then contacted building control who advised that this was ‘newsto them’ – they would only be concerned with fire stopping where any pipeworkpenetrated the ceiling of a compartment floor not with pipework in the void underthe floor boards as they considered the fire resistance component of acompartment floor to be the ceiling.

Have written to GS for further clarification

Thanks for your input. Had picked up from IGE/G/5 that anypipework in a void ‘such as a ceiling void’ in a multi-occupancy buildingrequired purpose provided ventilation. So called GS last week hoping to getadvice on how to do this to be told gas pipe can’t be run under the floor of aflat as building regs (more specifically fire regulations) don’t allow it.
Then contacted building control who advised that this was ‘newsto them’ – they would only be concerned with fire stopping where any pipeworkpenetrated the ceiling of a compartment floor not with pipework in the void underthe floor boards as they considered the fire resistance component of acompartment floor to be the ceiling.

Have written to GS for further clarification

Got the response back from GSR which was – they don’tprovide a consultancy service!
So I’m no further forward. Had thought this would be a relativelystraight forward issue to get clarified but I was clearly mistaken.
Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Yes - I'd really appreciate if the members on the forum with any experience of this particular issue can help.
Thanks

I cant see it being a problem, their are countless property's with this type of gas pipe work, if you are concerned about fittings under the floor then use Trac-Pipe,

Thanks jtsplumbing. The concern is not relating to fittings under the floor, the issue is regarding how, in practice, to satisfy the requirements of the regs for provision of ventilation when gas pipework is placed within a compartment floor between flats. It's with particular reference to the requirements of IGEM/G/5 and the guidance provided in BS6891 advising that the research proving sufficiency of adventitious ventilation in intermediate floors cannot be applied to compartment floors between flats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the response back from GSR which was – they don’tprovide a consultancy service!
when you get responses from them like that, which seems to be all to often, does it mean theyre giving you free reign to do what you like

They followed on with the advice that I should pay for a Gas consultant to advise on the matter.

Just call them up, there are about 10 of them in the office and one of them is a right *****. All the others I have spoken to are fine, chances are you will speak to someone very helpful. The last guy I spoke to there couldn't have been more helpful in answering my question and even emailed me over all the documents with the info in so I could have a read as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas pipe in floor of Flat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock