Search the forum,

Discuss Gas pipe extension 15mm or 22mm (from a 28mm supply). in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Len

Posted this last week in the wrong forum so this is a (modified) repeat and I like to three who answered that post.

Currently have a very old open system gas boiler which services the hot water system, via a storage cylinder and a ring of 11 radiators.

Needs to be replaced and I have selected the plumber to carry out the work. Others who quoted for the work mentioned that the gas feed would have to be upgraded to 22mm (based upon the visual inspection of 1.6m of 15mm pipe rising from the floor to the current boiler). Only one asked about the current pipe work feeding to this 15mm length.

The proposed condensing boiler to be installed is the Vaillant Ecoplus 618 which has an inlet gas pressure requirement of 20mbar on a 15mm connection.

The position of the new boiler is up in the loft which will require a 6mtr extension to the current gas pipe.

The feed from the street to the gas meter is 28mm steel reducing to 22mm copper and the outlet from the meter is 22mm copper back to 28mm steel that then goes under the floor (solid) across to the garage and then is fed up to a T in the floor - a length of 4.3m. The T splits the gas to the 15mm for the boiler and then goes under the floorboards to feed a supply to the cooker which is not used.

Unfortunately the split happens under the dining room floor which is covered in wood laminate. To access the joint will require the room to be cleared and the whole floor being lifted.

My neighbour had his boiler moved to the loft about 2 years ago and the installer used 15mm pipe all the way.

Have read numerous feeds about 15mm vs. 22mm and the Corgi changes to the regulations and have got confused..

I do not know the gas pressure into the house – but surely the size of the gas inlet pipe should be enough to feed the required mbar pressure required by the boiler?

Thank you any guidance you can offer.

Regards

try simplify to the following.
and will work it out for you,
size of meter first
appliances been supplied in k/w
size of pipe to first tee etc
size and length of pipe to first appliance +k/w requirement
size and length of pipe to remaining appliance. k/w requirement

Thank you for your reply and offer to help here are the answers to your questions:

size of meter - unknown but Manu. is Actaris (M32 Epsilon) installed Jan 2006 [govenor states Inlet 30m/Outlet unreadable Type 1&2 500 ft 3"(?) Maxflow stamped in the metal]
appliances been supplied in k/w - only 1 at 18kw
size of pipe to first tee - 28mm [length 4.3m]
size and length of pipe to first appliance - 15mm [length 9m] – 18kw (moving boiler to loft - extending pipework by 6m)
size and length of pipe to remaining appliance. - 28mm [length 5m] – Cooker point [not used].

Will look at the meter again if you can help with suggestions of what to look for.

Regards

9 meters of 15mm copper feeding 18kw will be undersized.

Thank you for your reply and offer to help here are the answers to your questions:

size of meter - unknown but Manu. is Actaris (M32 Epsilon) installed Jan 2006 [govenor states Inlet 30m/Outlet unreadable Type 1&2 500 ft 3"(?) Maxflow stamped in the metal]
assume its a u6/ga capable of supplying 6 cbm per hour

appliances been supplied in k/w - only 1 at 18kw
size of pipe to first tee - 28mm [length 4.3m]
size and length of pipe to first appliance - 15mm [length 9m] – 18kw (moving boiler to loft - extending pipework by 6m)

15mm not big enough require 22mm should do

size and length of pipe to remaining appliance. - 28mm [length 5m] – Cooker point [not used].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas pipe extension 15mm or 22mm (from a 28mm supply). in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock