Discuss gas fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
i did a job last week involving disconnecting a gas fire,the reason the customer requested this was because they applied for free wall insulation.they were refused because the employees of the wall insulation company said the gaS fire is dangerous because the flue is not pulling,i asked how he came to this conclusion, the customer said he lit a match held it to the unlit fire front and the smoke from the match came into the room.i disconnected the fire removed it, did a flue flow test, it passed,whats going on here,why the refusal and what was the attempted spillage test all about,and why t

Last edited:
Wasn't British Gas trying their luck at selling a new appliance was it? :rolleyes4:

It's because they have had problems with cavity fill blocking flues.

I believe this has something to do with cavity insulation reducing the advantageous ventilation and cavity company covering their behind.
I heard of a few that used to insist on putting in core vent wither it is a requirement for fire or not.

Or as JTSPLUMBING mentioned, running into chimneys. Was the chimney lined out of interest?

Last edited:
it would be interesting to know if the person performing a "spillage" test had any gas knowledge and if they do insulate causing a restriction in advantageous ventilation do they get open flued appliances check straight after the work??

i had loads of arguments with sparks and builders over the years about whos responsible if an extractor fan causes a fire to spill.

Hmm! Sounds like somebody has not learnt or understands how to conduct a flue test properly. They knew enough though to use a smoke match along the fire canopy front edge. A bit dangerous that.

Hmm! Sounds like somebody has not learnt or understands how to conduct a flue test properly. They knew enough though to use a smoke match along the fire canopy front edge. A bit dangerous that.

Op didn't say it was a smoke match just said that 'the smoke from the match'
All matches smoke when they go out and us old gits were originally taught to use ordinary matches to test for spillage cos smoke matches didn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock