Search the forum,

Discuss Galv steel to copper in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Plumb Tidy

Gas Engineer
Hi lads any ideas how to join what looks like galv steel to copper. This is the flow pipe to and from the boiler the steel pipe has rubber away on the joist and has corroded.

Attachments

• 325479F3-4806-475A-9FD2-925E14B4BD4C.jpeg
    325479F3-4806-475A-9FD2-925E14B4BD4C.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 32
True weld

compression fittings normally a 3/4 olive

I’m not sure how old it is there was a back boiler in the property that go decommissioned then this got put in. Would a normal 3/4 or 22mm compression joint do it?

yes 22mm with a 3/4 olive

Great cheers Shaun the true weld you spoke of. Do you believe that’s what’s used to solder the two pipes currently. I usually repair car radiators with some silver solder and rods more like brazing can that be done in this case as it’s non potable water? as I have been wondering what they have used to solder up that’s there already. Cheers for your help mukka!
[automerge]1604956932[/automerge]
I will go for the compression fitting with a ptfe chaser just the solder is a bit more of a better finish

Great cheers Shaun the true weld you spoke of. Do you believe that’s what’s used to solder the two pipes currently. I usually repair car radiators with some silver solder and rods more like brazing can that be done in this case as it’s non potable water? as I have been wondering what they have used to solder up that’s there already. Cheers for your help mukka!

that’s the name of the tube

standard leaded solder used
[automerge]1604957031[/automerge]
[automerge]1604956932[/automerge]
I will go for the compression fitting with a ptfe chaser just the solder is a bit more of a better finish

you can try soldering but sometimes you can have problems getting it to hold / leak free

Sorted with a compression fitting as Shaun suggested it was a little loose but a roll of PTFE later it was sorted, cheers lads!

Attachments

• 61D5F066-A096-47CA-887C-4137008305A0.jpeg
    61D5F066-A096-47CA-887C-4137008305A0.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 8
Did you use a 3/4 olive in the compression fitting ?

Yeah fair enough I did get excited and forgot to pick up the olive I just contacted them to see if all is ok and the first sign of a leak or when I’m in the area I can change it she was happy with that free of charge of course who wouldn’t be happy with that .

Reply to Galv steel to copper in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Guys, I am looking to replace radiator as the old threaded valve is shot on this old building but it is attached to what looks like 1 inch galvanized steel. I was hoping to freeze the pipe at the bottom (see pic) cut and reduce into 15mm copper, any ideas if there is a suitable adaptor out...
Replies
Views
P
Hi there I’m 10 weeks pregnant and found out we have some steel galvanised pipes with corrosion which was causing our tap water to run discoloured for a few seconds when not used for a couple of days. I understand this is from rust but was told lead could also be leaking into our water because...
Replies
Views
I have a hot water cylinder which has low carbon steel pipework to it - I have tried to add some pictures I need to replace the cylinder because it is leaking and I am not able to find anyone who is comfortable to work on this this because it is barrel steel - Has anyone worked on this kind of...
Replies
Views
S
I'm wondering if a failed gas line test indicates a gas leak. If so, is it a requirement to upgrade gas supply line from galvanised steel to copper? Would you replace all gas pipes? What would you be looking at in terms of cost in Victoria Australia?
Replies
Views
Hi folks, i've just moved into a property last month and begun to take note of things that may need attention. One of which is the feed to a 35kw system boiler appears to be in 22mm flexible steel pipe (tractpipe, or teslaflex or w/e). Distance from the meter is only 4m-5m or so, and I assume...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock