Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Foreigners? I mean jobs. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all. How did you guys initially start getting foreigners on the side of your normal 9-5????

Hi all. How did you guys initially start getting foreigners on the side of your normal 9-5????

As said word of mouth is the only real way you can go about it, although it dosnt hurt to let people know your a plumber

The other way is to get friendly with the counter staff at the merchant's, ask them to pass your name over to walk ins?

I trust you have all you pli etc and pay taxes? I winds me up not only am I competing against other self employed tradesmen I have to compete with employed people doing cash in hand jobs at the weekend and undercutting massively as they don't have to charge as much because they have a wage coming in!

The best part about doing 'foreigners' on the side while you are employed, is that when you eventually take the plunge and start your own operation, you will realise how cheap you were.

And guess who else realises how cheap you were - your existing customer base.

When you start charging them a rate that you can survive on - you will no longer be getting their work.

Don't be upset - just about every plumber who has gone from being an employee to self employed has been through this.

A word of warning - don't start cutting your bosses lunch.

Bosses have an uncanny way of finding things like that out - most of us have been there and done that.

Last edited:
If I found out any of my staff was doing foreigners using my vans and/or tools they would be out the door faster than you could ever imagine. It would be pretty obvious though as both our vans have GPS tracking on them.

If they did it using their own van and tools I'd have no problem with it, their weekend is their own.

I trust you have all you pli etc and pay taxes? I winds me up not only am I competing against other self employed tradesmen I have to compete with employed people doing cash in hand jobs at the weekend and undercutting massively as they don't have to charge as much because they have a wage coming in!

Its even worse when you get on site and see guys talking about doing boiler changes on weekends when they are not gsr .

So many round here doing quick cash jobs that you just get under priced and yes none are insured but custs don't care from my experience.

If they did it using their own van and tools I'd have no problem with it, their weekend is their own.

Thats very open minded of you Keiran. If one of my staff set up in competition with me, weekend or not, that would be the end of that.

In fact, exactly that has just happened. Its a "breach of trust and confidence" and a clear conflict of interest, and the end of someone's career with us.

Thats very open minded of you Keiran. If one of my staff set up in competition with me, weekend or not, that would be the end of that.

In fact, exactly that has just happened. Its a "breach of trust and confidence" and a clear conflict of interest, and the end of someone's career with us.

I would be the exact same. If they were employed by me and potentially taking work off me I couldn't trust them in my customers homes knowing they could be trying to steal them off me in the future.

I would make exception if it was family.

I have only ever done foreigners for close friends and family but anything longer than an hour or 2 got passed to whoever I was working for and they usually got a bit of a deal and I'd get a few beers for it.

Never really thought of it like that to be honest but certainly it makes sense. As far as I know none of my staff do but it's only a matter of time before it happens I'm sure. I certainly would reward the guys if they generate work for us through referrals etc.

As long as employers look after their staff (and I know you certainly do Ray, they're a cracking bunch) then staff members should be very grateful for a good opportunity in the current environment.

When I started up I did jobs for friends and family whilst I was off duty in the RN. The RN always came first though and if I had to stay late or do an extra duty the jobs got put back. I suppose it's very different if you are effectively taking jobs away from the boss that pays your wages.

everyone starts with weekend and evening jobs for friends and family its the natural way towards being self employed unless they are stealing customers there isnt much you can do about it unless it specifically in there contract even then hard to prove if theres no paper trail
i was offered a job once they didnt want to put us on cards so we had to be subbing and then they said we wasnt allowed to work for anyone else told them to stick it some firms want their cake and eat it

I built up my experience whilst in the RN, sourcing jobs myself. I wouldn't dream of doing weekend jobs, i.e. being in direct competition with my employer. It's morally wrong imo. Whilst I didn't think it initially, what people have said is right. It's disloyal.

The circumstances you state are different, you're not being employed. They are trying to have their cake and eat it. I would certainly sack someone using my van/tools/stocks to do foreigners and in light of what others have said would certainly consider the same if they aren't passing the work to the business that pays their wage. I look after the guys money wise and (I think) they look after me, that's how my company works.

With GPS tracking use of our vans for foreigners would be very easy to prove. I don't look into it as I trust the lads, it's there in case of RTAs and if the vehicles are stolen.

Each company is of course different though and I do appreciate everyone has their own opinions!

Last edited:
I knew this thread would cause a reaction from the SE guys. Whatever puts food on the table. And don't get me started on paying tax. As an employed hard working member of society I pay 40% and over 100 notes a week national insurance.

I knew this thread would cause a reaction from the SE guys. Whatever puts food on the table. And don't get me started on paying tax. As an employed hard working member of society I pay 40% and over 100 notes a week national insurance.

I understand that on the books you do pay tax and a lot of it, I know I did when I was employed.

But imagine having your boss say to you we haven't got any work for you as we have someone who is gonna do it cash in hand and steal consumables and fittings so I only have to pay him half what you get. You'd be pretty peed off.

I know it goes on a lot but if I found someone I employed doing it they would be gone in a shot.

It's funny because my boss actively encourages me to do foreigners with the full use of company tools and van. Maybe that's down to the pee poor wages he pays. I don't quite understand why tradesmen think there's not enough work to go round??
In my opinion I don't think most people start up a business with the thought of the employees first. It's always money and and how much they can get. Why would hard working tradesmen pass a foreigner to a company, when they'll probably end up doing the job and get paid a lot less for it?

I don't agree with trying to take customers from the company you work for and wouldn't dream of it. Unfortunately businesses have to charge a premium to cover all the over heads.

It's funny because my boss actively encourages me to do foreigners with the full use of company tools and van. Maybe that's down to the pee poor wages he pays. I don't quite understand why tradesmen think there's not enough work to go round??
In my opinion I don't think most people start up a business with the thought of the employees first. It's always money and and how much they can get. Why would hard working tradesmen pass a foreigner to a company, when they'll probably end up doing the job and get paid a lot less for it?

because if they are employed the company pays them a wage every month which (in my mind) is worth a bit of loyalty.

but that's your decision

Not worked on the cards for ages would break me paying that N.I nowadays.

really don't see any bonuses of being on the cards

290 quid tax
87 quid national insurance.

there are some pro's to it tho. There has to be!

when my dad worked for BT(he was with them for 20 years)if they caught you installing phonelines out side of working for them,it was deemed a instant,sack able offence,they deemed that they trained you,you then take the urine by being in competition with them,so cant blame you Ray

I'd like to clarify I don't do private jobs. Infact I never work weekends. I'm knackered by Friday and can't be arsed with the grief of dealing with the general public.

I'd like to clarify I don't do private jobs. Infact I never work weekends. I'm knackered by Friday and can't be arsed with the grief of dealing with the general public.

i hate you,i have to work Saturday until 2 and do call outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Foreigners? I mean jobs. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
When I turn on the shower or bath, initially the pump runs (quite loudly) and only a trickle comes out. I have to alternate turning on the bath...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I'm sniffing around what to expect of getting a job in plumbing. My job makes me redundant at the end of September. The whole warehouse...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock