Currently reading:
flux

Discuss flux in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

woodytheplumber

what fluxes are you other plumbers using now then? i allways use powerflow and leadsolder on C/H powerflow and lead free on hot and cold and Laco and leaded on gas

I don't worry about all that nonsense, pushfit, compression and flexis for me every day!

ha ha i am guessing (or hoping) thats sarcasum! flexies are for diy'ers and bad ones at that!

I used to use travis perkins 4trade flux which I picked up one day and realised its actually pretty good so used it for ages. Was like a cross beteen Powerflow and Laco.

Laco before that, and Laco now as I don'r use travis anymore.

i prefer powerflow and hardly use any but never risk it on gas?!

I prefer Yorkshire flux but been using plumfix own brand at the mo as its cheap! Very clean to use as well

I hate Laco. Horrible fumes, and it tends to burn off quicker than my favourite flux - which is 'Ever Flux'.....

It even says on the side of a tub of Everflux "the worlds best flux" so now you know!!

I have recently converted to Powerflow as it's less aggressive. I seem to have developed a problem with Ever flux. As you sweat a joint the fumes come off........ Well my left wrist, where I hold the reel of solder started to get a horrible rash which was sore too. I also started to get eaten any where else the flux sat for a while.

Stopped using Everflux and no problems any more. I still keep a tub in the van and used it for some 35mm I had to sweat the other day.

As for solder, I use lead free for hot/cold water and leaded for central heating and gas work. Why use leadfree for everything? It's twice the price of leaded.

Last edited:
I find the fumes from powerflow give me severe breathing difficulties. I get very tight chested and struggle for breath. I always use barrier cream and wear gloves when I'm soldering nowadays as years of abusing my skin with flux etc. means I get contact dermatitis if I handle pipe with flux on it.

I find the fumes from powerflow give me severe breathing difficulties. I get very tight chested and struggle for breath. I always use barrier cream and wear gloves when I'm soldering nowadays as years of abusing my skin with flux etc. means I get contact dermatitis if I handle pipe with flux on it.

Well I'm glad it's not just me Mike.

I started to wear gloves, but it's a pain in the backside. The fumes from Powerflow don't seem to affect me but on the whole, all flux fumes are bad for us.

I will continue to use Everflux (with gloves on) from time to time. But so far, I'm getting on fine with Powerflow so will use that for most of my work.

Barrier cream is a good idea. Flux - it has to be evil if you want it to be any good. It's a paradox!! LOL.

Been wearing gloves myself for 6 months now. Can't work without them now.

I find the fingers get saggy at the end!! Then I tear a hole in them and then I just bin them.

I've bough vinyl ones for oil and latex ones for everything else. I just can't get used to it though.

Yeah fluxtite is nice. Old fashioned flux, the type you could spread on your sandwhiches and eat.

You need to work clean with that though, and abrade all you pipe and fittings.

Frys Fluxite or the similar Yorkshire Traditional flux are the professional stuff I think. (Fernox grease based is a little different, but also gets a good name) Fairly harmless to copper & are well proven as been around forever. Solder flows really well & especially good for leaded solder on end feed fittings.
That Everflux I distrust as I heard it can attack solder. It def attacks copper. Seen plumbers leaking joints done probably with Everflux, with "dry looking solder" - you know the dirty looking solder that looks like old dirty lead. When you heat them apart later, the entire solder inside the fitting is the same. Yet not all joints are like this. Also any bits of pipe left lying with Everflux on them, look like a fungus growing on them. Grease based flux does little harm.

Last edited:
Each to their own. I bet laco works well with Propane.

I use Mapp, and have burned Laco. I keep a tub of Laco on board too. The brush in tub one. As an emergency back up. I'm not going to use it any other time!

Always use laco, just works, though it does sting a bit if you get it in a open wound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to flux in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back