Search the forum,

Discuss Flue supports in loft in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JimG

Hi,

Several years ago I had a boiler installed in my loft and it's been serviced by a registered engineer every year. At the latest service the engineer gave me an AR notice because the flue supports are not up to the latest spec:

DSC_0001.jpg

I thought that fitting a few brackets shouldn't be beyond me until I read a thread here about a similar-ish situation.

So my question is, any idea what it'll cost to get the job done properly? The guy who did the service wouldn't give any idea, he said they're not allowed to do remedial work on installations they inspect. I'm OK with DIY-level stuff, I could get supports into place to take brackets if that would help. The loft is fully boarded and well lit.

Thanks for any info!

Jim

Looks like it's falling the wrong way but could be the angle of the pics...

It will cost more if they need to increase the fall on the pipe...

is there a reason why the flue takes this route ? could it not just go straight up from boiler ?

My guess scared of heights lol.

But yes AR there. Those brackets arent approved and can move and potentially dislocate

Hi Jim,

buy the proper brackets for this flue ( part no.s can be found in the manufactures instructions)
Goto B&Q and buy a few lenghts of CLS timber ( very cheap strong soft wood )
Cut and sucure to the sides of the rafters going down the side of the flue
fit brackets onto these.
then call back your gas man to inspect and reconnect your boiler

you need at least 1 bracket on every section of flue and I would put at least 4 on this ( 1 of these on the vertical just before it goes out the roof)
check there is a slight fall on the flue going back to the boiler.

I would have sorted this out for about £120 ( the bracket are about £7 each, wood £3 per length and labour £80 )

I still think the no banding rule is retarded TBH, if done right they'll never move. But yeah some proper brackets and wood will sort that out :)

those dont look good but agree with id if its supported properly with banding it should be the engineers judgement call as to weather its safe

Agree with the last two comments , if its supported well and won't come apart then its a no brainer

Flue restrained by BAT strap in vertical plane but not in horizontal. To give additional support run timber from wall, parallel with flue, mark off and fix brackets. Secure timber against wall with noggin and add tie across corresponding rafters,( A frame), to aid fixing of outer end.

Looks like it's falling the wrong way but could be the angle of the pics...

It will cost more if they need to increase the fall on the pipe...

Don't worry, it's the angle I took the picture from!

Jim

My guess to close to the chimney ?

The wall in the background is the gable end at the side of the house. The boiler is towards the front of the house, the flue vents out of the back so it's not visible from the street. We couldn't site the boiler there because of the chimney.

Jim

Flue restrained by BAT strap in vertical plane but not in horizontal. To give additional support run timber from wall, parallel with flue, mark off and fix brackets. Secure timber against wall with noggin and add tie across corresponding rafters,( A frame), to aid fixing of outer end.

Thanks Joni!

Jim

The wall in the background is the gable end at the side of the house. The boiler is towards the front of the house, the flue vents out of the back so it's not visible from the street. We couldn't site the boiler there because of the chimney.

Jim

Is that an outside wall ? or next door nabours ? or is there another reason for not Flueing out through back wall

Is that an outside wall ? or next door nabours ? or is there another reason for not Flueing out through back wall

It's next door. We're in a semi, and the other end of the roof is hipped.

Don't ask about putting the boiler in the loft :crazy:. It's not something I'd do again!

Jim

Hi Jim,

this is a simple diy job, take your time and plan it well. But please get it checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
if you do this yourself please post some after pics.
good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue supports in loft in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock