Search the forum,

Discuss flow rate q in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

novicegas

Gas Engineer
Looking at changing my system boiler to a combi, combi will be positioned upstairs nearly in loft of first floor house. Q where do i test the water pressure and flow rate? Has been tested at back of the house on garden tap, however new position would be nearly as long but at least 5metres higher than that. Also anyone fitted one of those Salamander Home Boosts yet?

hello the out side tap is the best place to test water pressure and flow rate. your going to loose about 1bar on the mains in the loft. if you can rig it up get a test of the mains in the loft. you only get out what you put with a combi.

5 metres is 0.5 bar so you will lose slightly more than that taking into account pipework restrictions but flow rate is much more important. I won't entertain fitting a combi without at least 20 l/min for a 24Kw. I like to work on having twice the flow rate that the combi requires for hot water so that the flow through the combi won't reduce too much if someone operates a cold outlet.

The Salamander home boost looks a reasonable product but IMHO it's not going to be the cure all that a lot of people seem to be thinking. It will improve flow rates up to 12 l/min but this is still a fairly poor flow rate and will not be enough for a combi or unvented installation to work at full capacity.

I dont like combis in roof spaces -
1. domestic hot water flow can suffer - esp. summer when all the hose pipes are runnin in unmetered gardens.
2. when the pressure drops its a pain to go up into roof void to re-pressurise
3. regs state that the area should be safe to access light/footboards etc.

Ur replacing a sound system with a more complicated combi AND a pressure pump to
make the combi work properly - I cannot see why

centralheatking

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to flow rate q in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock