Search the forum,

Discuss floorboard on gas pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

teddy80

Hello ( new member)

I am trying to replace my landing floorboards, having removed the last one i have discovered a gas pipe which has been fitted along 4 joists, there are holes cut into the joists to accommodate the pipe but there are 2 of the joists where the pipe is not flush and is protruding over by about 4mm. if i fit a new board over the top of this it will be lying on top of the actual pipe itself rather then the 2 joists. Has anybody ever come across this before, it would have been like this for the last 20 years, thanks teddy80

Carefully, and I mean carefully, cut a sliver of joist out from under the pipe until there's room for it.

And remember where the pipe is when you're putting the floor back down.

Carefully, and I mean carefully, cut a sliver of joist out from under the pipe until there's room for it.

And remember where the pipe is when you're putting the floor back down.

........ and keep all screws or nails well away from it !

As above if it's touching the bottom of the joist, and use some webbing(not metal) to hold it down if still siting flush with space underneath it

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately he gas pipe is rigid and has no flexibility to be lowered any further in to the joists. There is a bend in the pipe where it comes up through the ceiling and leads straight into the first joist making it impossible to move. The only alternative I can come up with is to raise the landing floor, which I really do not want to do. Thanks teddy80

Get a GSR engineer in. Everything can be moved with a little know how. Will be much cheaper than raising the floor.

why don't you get a plumber to alter it for you then

Sorry Howsie beat me to it

Last edited:
the only option as above is to get a gas safe eng out to change things about/ lower pipe

A gas safe engineer should be able to sort this for you, alternatively you could cut a slot in the bottom of the floor board to accommodate the pipe the lay 12/18mm ply over the top of the hole floor

I have already spoken to an engineer & his advise was that if its been like it for 20 years why worry about it.
Will contact another engineer & get him to come & have a look, thanks for advice

You want to move it because you want to put a floor down flat. Not rocket science. Definitely get another engineer.

It wouldn't be so bad, but i only have two small radiators upstairs, on the landing & in the bathroom & yet when I took the boards up it looked like a map of the London underground, I think some ones made a real mess of it in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to floorboard on gas pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock