Discuss Fixings on radiator brackets advice please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JD89

Hey people.

Really bad day today, really struggled to get a fixing on radiator brackets. Had 2 new rads to fit. 1 on a plasterboard wall which wasn't great I had to silicone the backs of the brackets and seems ok. The other rad was a nightmare. The wall just crumbled as I drilled into it and I really struggled to get a fixing I lost my head and ended up asking my boss to help out.. I can get fixings on standard block walls but when it comes to old ****ty walls I don't know what to do... how do I go about getting a good fixing on these crappy walls?? Reason I ask now is because I have my heating assessment Thursday morning and don't want to look a fool.

Thanks in advance!

Don't use hammer on your drill , that is always bad on cack walls, depending on how bad they are I use 10mm plugs and 3 or 4 inch spax, so I can drill past the dusty top. I then tap in the plugs with a screw and hammer. Open the plugs up a bit by screwing them in. Then fix the bracket.

Don't use hammer on your drill , that is always bad on cack walls, depending on how bad they are I use 10mm plugs and 3 or 4 inch spax, so I can drill past the dusty top. I then tap in the plugs with a screw and hammer. Open the plugs up a bit by screwing them in. Then fix the bracket.

Thanks for the good advice mate... What's the best fixing for you on plasterboard? I think toggles are good but I don't have the gun to pull them in to the wall and I hate screwing them in?

This may cause some raised eyebrows but if the rad isn't too big and on a stud wall I use thorsman plasterboard fixings or anchors. If it is huge and can't trust the wall I will get someone to stud the wall out.if it's a dot and dab wall I will use 3 or 4 inch spax depending on the wall behind the board. And size of the rad.i used to hang rads all day long before on new builds :)

Use expanding bolts on rads . Three brackets two per rad. Non come off yet. Had some awful lath and plaster ones. Try and cut a slit behind rad and slide in old floor board or a nice Bit of 9mm ply 3" wide and as long as I can get in. Try to get center bracket on a stud. If walls really cack run battens and fix to them . P

As said don't use hammer on bad walls, I usually use two brown plugs and screws and then one big frame fixing, rad never moves then even if someone stands on the rad,

for plaster boards I use either the worm and screw style or the opeing toggles, and a few dabs of ct1 on the back of the bracket,
if its a really bad wall stud it out

Last edited:
Another tip is start off with a 6mm drill bit for red plugs, then if the hole inlarges put a brown plug in instead. You can always go up a hole size but never down.

I hang 99% of my rads in red plugs never had one come off the wall. (Obviously not on plasterboard)

If they are really big radiators, sink 2 pieces of timber into the wall behind the dry liner, cut the plasterboard out timber about 4" wide length to cover the brackets, plaster over the day before hanging, never come off and you will never need to go back to it, kids can swing on the radiators.

Cut a piece of grant westfield multi panel, as tall as your brackets and as wide to get both brackets on. Screw into studs and screw brackets onto multi panel. Use the short side of bracketbto hang rad on. Cant be seen once rad is on.

Or cut out a small section of plaster board with the fein and get a bit of timber in. Patch back up and hang rad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fixings on radiator brackets advice please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock