Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting a rad to lathe & plaster wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DomC

Advice please. Im due to fit a new rad (current one is 1740mm long so cannot get like for like size ), but not sure if i will encounter problems fixing it to the wall, as the brackets are usually set on the back of the rad & it is very likely i wont be able to line them up to the studs.

Thanks in advance:ciappa:

Run a batton along wall behind rad and fix that to the studs and the brackets to that. Or use pigtails and wait for it falling off?

Or key hole wall behind rad slip in some 3*2 so one end is on floor and one is higher than top of rad bracket, screw through wall into stud sandwiching wall between bracket and new short stud. The stud touching floor helps transfer load to floor.

With a rad that size you will be better fitting batons across the studs to take the brackets (or some 3/4" ply)

if its a replacenment you stuck with the position if its a new one id always try and get one bracket on a stud you can hang them with toggles but you need a sharp drill

if its a replacenment you stuck with the position if its a new one id always try and get one bracket on a stud you can hang them with toggles but you need a sharp drill

Yes its a replacement. Can you get rads with varying bracket positioning ?

Yes its a replacement. Can you get rads with varying bracket positioning ?

I was working in a house not so long ago, the radiator hangers ran the full length of the back of the rad, so you could put the brackets anywhere. GENIUS. Why don't we still have these?

I was working in a house not so long ago, the radiator hangers ran the full length of the back of the rad, so you could put the brackets anywhere. GENIUS. Why don't we still have these?
Old Carronrads had them for a short spell in the 80's just before they went out the game.

Now I've seen one, it seems crazy that all rads wouldn't be made this way now, especially as modern buildings have stud walls everywhere.

You can get brackets that can be positioned along the back of the radiator.
They clip to the bottom and top of the panel.

We call them 'Tamper Proof Brackets' - for what ever reason

You will be able to fix to the studs, and then clip the radiator in.

Hope this helps

You can get brackets that can be positioned along the back of the radiator.
They clip to the bottom and top of the panel.
We call them 'Tamper Proof Brackets' - for what ever reason
You will be able to fix to the studs, and then clip the radiator in.
Hope this helps

Who makes these ? or are they only available in Australia ?
What British maker produces common sense fixing options ?

Last edited by a moderator:

I got a few rads off ebay, german ones with these.
great quality!!

however, being in german instructions they really were tamper proof when i went to take it off....

i would use mdf the full size for the brackets behind, gripfill it and a million screws.....

Convince them to go for a floor standing column rad instead, looks nice etc
May be a bit more pipe work but only needs a relatively light fixing back to wall
Then you get the job to replace all the other rads to match:biggrin5:

Last edited:
Had one job, further down in Devon where the walls were straw panels!! 1"1/2' thick compacted straw, paper finish to plaster, no studs made in 8" x 4" sheets, only option was to cut out back to the nearest timber both sides and fill with 3/4" both side and make good!!

We make nothing like that here.

Everything we get is imported from you guys or Europe in general.
Delonghi I think make them.

did no last month the plaster and lath wall was in poor shape - got a piece of 8mm ply cut slightly smaller than the rad and screwed this to the wall and painted it same as wall the screwed rad to that - worked a treat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting a rad to lathe & plaster wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Shower is leaking into downstairs when water is being aimed at wall . All sealant has been redone on outside and between shower tray and wall at the bottom on inside , can’t spot any leakages here. It runs down the wall downstairs beneath shower in lines , when water is sprayed at the...
Replies
Views
i have done a few tests on 5mm pvc wet wall before trying to fit a 1600 bathroom radiator, it's to be fitted on plaster board, there is a panel of sterling board inside the wall. After a few try's to fit the rad fixing the wet wall sink's onto the wall, i have also tryed cutting a circle just...
Replies
Views
I apologise in advance that this might not make sense or be full of silly/obvious questions, but I am a novice at all this! We have recently knocked through from our kitchen to a new extension to create an opening. Various things have been moved from the wall that was knocked through, including...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We've sourced 2 new rads that we’re looking to get installed in place of our 2 existing ones and have been quoted £350 for a direct swap (including balancing and fitting TRVs that we are supplying) or £700 if we’d like the addition of the pipes being chased into the wall. I wanted to get...
Replies
Views
M
Hi.I have 6 caste iron rads and want to connect them all the lines are in with the stubs sticking out of the wall. There are two manifolds down stairs each with 6 pipes each so it looks like each rad has a flow and return. From the manifolds 2 pipes go back to a baxi gas boiler . What valves...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock