Search the forum,

Discuss First Fix plumbing for starters in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary Lee

Is first Fix plumbing the best way to start in the plumbing trade?.... Seems its the one job that needs the least qualifications and experience. Im level 2 qualified and defo not ready to start steaming into heating systems and stuff. my thinking is that first fix will get me a bit of confidence working on site in the plumbing arena before moving on to more advanced stuff.

also, whats the average rates for first fix in London.

cheers
gaz

Once you've done a few FF your not going to advance on much unless you want to mate but it will give you a bit experience.

cheers mate, i was thinking this but i don't really feel I've got enough knowledge to start on anything more advanced at this stage... and at the moment I'm still at college doing my level 3 whilst working as a painter and decorator so I'm scared that if i don't start working now ill forget everything I've learnt so far. Not

First fixing isn't as easy as some think it's also the most lucrative part of site bashing.

Expect to be shunned by pretty much everyone if your the least qualified getting all the cream.

First fixing is a good way to understand pipework layouts. Then when you come across other housesp, you can visualise what might be under the floor.

cheers mate, i was thinking this but i don't really feel I've got enough knowledge to start on anything more advanced at this stage... and at the moment I'm still at college doing my level 3 whilst working as a painter and decorator so I'm scared that if i don't start working now ill forget everything I've learnt so far. Not

You haven't learnt much yet until you get hands in IMHO

First fix has to be quick but also right, get your first fix right then 2nd fix is a doddle.

I hate 2nd fixing another plumbers work as never quite how i would of done it, mainly never any fixings put in the wall, get plenty of fixing in makes hanging rads, boilers etc so much easier with no messing about.

first fixings not easy at all,lot of thought has to go into it

I'm on with a second fix. Somebody else did the first fix. There was no thought involved. Should see the mess I'm making of the finished painted walls :)

FF is a good place to start. I started my career in house bashing, did it for six years an stopped learning after one. There is only so much you can learn on site. I've learnt ten times as much in the last three years than those six working for my current employer doing full rip outs extensions and everything else. Sometimes I regret staying on site as long as I did chasing the easy money instead of gaining more knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to First Fix plumbing for starters in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's found it challenging trying to find a place to work, or gain experience in order to obtain my nvq level 2 even though I've passed my level 2 diploma 2...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Our bathroom fitters have finished the first fix. However, when the tiler came round, he pointed out these issues: Standard plasterboard has been used throughout (including the future shower area), rather than using the waterproof variety of plasterboard or to use tiling board. The...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Hello Plumbers/Gas Engineers, Excuse if this question has been raised but i am in a slight dilemma and for the past 2 weeks the internet has not really solved this, so I feel i need some real advice from real tradesmen. I am 21 and stuck behind a desk not progressing into a career, I have...
Replies
Views
Hi all, hope this is ok to post here but I’m really struggling to get any responses from anyone. I am a 36 year old from just outside of Maidstone who has recently decided to retrain with the hope of eventually starting a career in the domestic plumbing and heating industry (looking to get...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock