Search the forum,

Discuss FGA Result need altered? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

JTplumbingservices

Gas Engineer
I had to move an existing Vokera unica 32i today for a kitchen upgrade so I stuck my analyser in afterwards, my ratio is fine and reading 0.0011 but the C02 is 9.7 and 213ppm which is high according to the MI.
I’ll be back on the job tomorrow, it’s an empty house and the boiler has been left isolated but should I be adjusting this to get the numbers down?
Cheers in advance.

Let it run for an hour on heating then re check

New flue or re use ?

I had to move an existing Vokera unica 32i today for a kitchen upgrade so I stuck my analyser in afterwards, my ratio is fine and reading 0.0011 but the C02 is 9.7 and 213ppm which is high according to the MI.
I’ll be back on the job tomorrow, it’s an empty house and the boiler has been left isolated but should I be adjusting this to get the numbers down?
Cheers in advance.

The gas valve will probably need setting up. You’ll need a 2/2.5mm and 4mm Alankey.

1. Turn the selector control knob to the off position.
2. Drop the PCB down at the back there are 2 screw to undo a flap.
3. Using a pen locate the red button under the flap.
4. Press once for ch max (usually run the hot tap too) press twice for dhw max and press third time for min.
5. Max co should be 9.0 min should be 9.5. (Double check with mis)
6. Once complete turn the boiler on from the selector control knob it’s out of service mode.

Hope that helps.

The gas valve will probably need setting up. You’ll need a 2/2.5mm and 4mm Alankey.

1. Turn the selector control knob to the off position.
2. Drop the PCB down at the back there are 2 screw to undo a flap.
3. Using a pen locate the red button under the flap.
4. Press once for ch max (usually run the hot tap too) press twice for dhw max and press third time for min.
5. Max co should be 9.0 min should be 9.5. (Double check with mis)
6. Once complete turn the boiler on from the selector control knob it’s out of service mode.

Hope that helps.
Cheers for that, I get how to alter it. I just wasn’t sure with the ratio being ok and the CO and PPM not ok what the correct course of action was as I’ve never came across it before.

defo adjust then wouldnt be surprised if you cant get it down past 140 ppm

correct while on max rate then do min if you can adj it (instructions will tell you) then check max again and then finally check with cover on

Ok mate cheers, I’ve never had to do this before . Is it just a case of adjusting it while it’s running with the analyser in and watch the reading drop as I go ?
I wouldn't start altering it until you've checked the burner seals etc. Could be something simple like that. Have you checked your 02 readings on air intake too?

Wow! JT, I asssume that you are registered? How can you nit have adjusted a gas valve before now, is it not part of training these days. Not trying to be a Smart A, I am genuinely confused - it is a basic function.
Choppers: Before you start worrying about seals, it is normal to reset the gas valve, as they drift. I had to adjust a Worcester yeterday. The CO2 was 9.1% on high. I adjusted but Overstepped, and the CO shot through the roof!. Slight readjust and bang on 9.8, and CO, IIRC, about 95.

If you cannot adjust to correct parameters, then start looking at other stuff.

Or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Wow! JT, I asssume that you are registered? How can you nit have adjusted a gas valve before now, is it not part of training these days. Not trying to be a Smart A, I am genuinely confused - it is a basic function.
Choppers: Before you start worrying about seals, it is normal to reset the gas valve, as they drift. I had to adjust a Worcester yeterday. The CO2 was 9.1% on high. I adjusted but Overstepped, and the CO shot through the roof!. Slight readjust and bang on 9.8, and CO, IIRC, about 95.

If you cannot adjust to correct parameters, then start looking at other stuff.

Or am I missing something?
I don’t see why you’re so confused.
No you don’t have to do it as part of training and I haven’t done it yet because I haven’t been installing or moving boilers since I became registered.
Hope this clears things up for you.

I don’t see why you’re so confused.
No you don’t have to do it as part of training and I haven’t done it yet because I haven’t been installing or moving boilers since I became registered.
Hope this clears things up for you.

Your tone suggests that you have taken offence!
I can’t actually recall what is in the ACS to get a boiler ticket, but I do know that you use to have to do a FGA course, but is now part of the Boiler module. I still do not understand how you can be registered for boilers, especially as a new guy, without having learnt about FGA’ing - holding the ticket says you are competent.

Has the industry gone mad?

I can’t actually recall what is in the ACS to get a boiler ticket, but I do know that you use to have to do a FGA course, but is now part of the Boiler module. I still do not understand how you can be registered for boilers, especially as a new guy, without having learnt about FGA’ing - holding the ticket says you are competent.

Your tone suggested you were actually trying to be a ‘ smart A ‘
We did learn about it and I passed my combustion analysis which I have on my card.
During assessments and training we had to practically carry out FGA tests and record results but never had to physically alter a valve, we learned a lot about ratios and action levels etc but never if a ratio is fine and other readings are not and this is the first time I’ve experienced it.
I thought this site was about helping and advising others ?
To be fair it is 99% of the time.

Does it really matter fire least he’s asking as he’s unsure

We can still ask questions we all don’t know everything

If you can help help if not don’t comment simple

How about helping rather than busting his chops. For all you know mate. He has been on an estate of 500 boilers where they cannot be adjusted. #justsaying

Your tone suggested you were actually trying to be a ‘ smart A ‘
We did learn about it and I passed my combustion analysis which I have on my card.
During assessments and training we had to practically carry out FGA tests and record results but never had to physically alter a valve, we learned a lot about ratios and action levels etc but never if a ratio is fine and other readings are not and this is the first time I’ve experienced it.
I thought this site was about helping and advising others ?
To be fair it is 99% of the time.
Don’t worry about it mate. Nobody knows everything, no matter how smart they think they are.

Well, have it your way. I was not trying to be unpleasant, but it is shocking that you are classed as competent while never having adjusted a gas valve. That is not your fault, but the state of the training in this industry. TBF, though, I would have thought your first course would have been to download the MIs and get studying. Don’t rely o advice here, it is often wrong

Well, have it your way. I was not trying to be unpleasant, but it is shocking that you are classed as competent while never having adjusted a gas valve. That is not your fault, but the state of the training in this industry. TBF, though, I would have thought your first course would have been to download the MIs and get studying. Don’t rely o advice here, it is often wrong
I’ll be sure to contact you directly from now on whenever I need advice seen as how you knew everything there is to know from day 1, and believe me there are lots out there with gas tickets who are completely incompetent and dangerous who would just go ahead and start messing about with things they don’t know about without seeking advice. Yes I may not have been sure about this as I’ve never done it but that’s why I’m seeking advice from people on here with experience.

I’ll be sure to contact you directly from now on whenever I need advice seen as how you knew everything there is to know from day 1, and believe me there are lots out there with gas tickets who are completely incompetent and dangerous who would just go ahead and start messing about with things they don’t know about without seeking advice. Yes I may not have been sure about this as I’ve never done it but that’s why I’m seeking advice from people on here with experience.
You did the right thing mate. If I’m doubt. ASK.

Don’t rely o advice here, it is often wrong

So does that mean some information and help you’ve advised on is incorrect or false or wrong ?

Next time you get readings like that just check the 02 % coming in at the test point, providing it has one, if it doesn't have one put your tester probe on the inlet in the boiler at the bottom of the flue turret. If you get any Co ppm readings you'll now the flue seals will need looking at. Another sign the flue seals have failed or are damaged is if the Co readings fluctuate up and down when you test it.

Reply to FGA Result need altered? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock