Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Fast Track courses what's the truth? Ex Military, needs advice. in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Stephen Legge

Stephen Legge New Member

Hi everyone

I am leaving the forces after 23 years shortly and want to retrain as a gas engineer, growing up in a trades household I was pretty much dragged out with my old man regularly with the hope of earning a quid. However that was 20+ years ago.I joined the Navy not as an engineer but have enough nouse about me to grasp things quick.

Serious question though. I can't afford to go to college for 3 years doing an apprenticeship for obvious reasons being 37, kids and mortgage and every thread I read is old and bold tradies slamming the short courses.

I get it I really do, but what options do I have? have you done the fast track course? did you find a job? have you employed someone like me?Do I bite the bullet and take my degree, iosh quals and project manager quals and do a job for £40k that I'll ****ing hate until I die?

2. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

40 K , that probably more than you will earn in this job pal .
    But money aint everything !!

3. Stephen Legge

Stephen Legge New Member

I've spent too long at sea and away to do something else I hate, I'd be happy with 30k after a couple of years, my pension will do the rest.

4. townfanjon

Yep your pension is your safegaurd , both my bro in laws are ex army , good but well earnt pensions.
    My youngest bro in law went in to this industry but the army paid , by the sounds of it you are paying , please be careful with any fast track courses , we get loads on here were they have paid a fortune and end up with no job at the end of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Stephen Legge

Stephen Legge New Member

Most my training and accommodation costs will be paid for by my resettlement grant and ELCAS grants so it will end up costing me about £1k.

My thinking is, do the course get a job working for companies not that strict on experience required for a couple years, then use my lump sum to start up on my own. Or I could do the level 1 and 2 part time at college whilst I'm still in the navy, then do the course after to hone some skills, the course I looked at was 11 weeks I total including 40 day placement. They reckon they find jobs for 65% of students.

I think it's achievable but wanted some honest views.

6. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Ask to speak to the 65% historically who found jobs. Also most companies want experience over bits of paper.

Just things to bear in mind but sounds like you have your head screwed on.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Surely 37 is a typo?

8. townfanjon

65% yer right .

9. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. townfanjon

Lol , only comes on here when hes stuck

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Stephen Legge

Stephen Legge New Member

why is it a typo?

12. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Because otherwise you joined the navy at 14?

13. Stephen Legge

Stephen Legge New Member

Oh gotcha, I'm in my last 2 years, I joined at 16.

14. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Hi
    Not many companies will,take you on knowing they will train you up and in two years you will leave and take a chunk of their customers or work.

Why not go for a normal repair plumber. You need experience and a knack for the job. But no formal qualifications are needed.
    Both self employed will earn just about the same. Then do gas if you enjoy the job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Stephen Legge

Stephen Legge New Member

obviously I'm not going to walk in the door and tell them I want to set up on my own...who would be crazy enough to do that?

Thanks for the advice though,I find it hard looking through these posts, it's full of tradies telling me there is no work and the money is crap, yet I can never get one that's free and watch them drive around in £40k transporters all day I think some people are telling porkies on here... maybe they think I'm a HRMC spy...